Lacrosse

The wind was whipping by my face. I was sprinting as fast as I could to the open goal desperately wanting to get my first goal of the season. To my right a defender was gaining on me. To stay ahead of her, my feet’s movement kicked up a notch. When I was a good four feet outside of the crease, I shot as hard as my arm could manage. Then I felt a hard shove on my side. To my right was the tallest girl on the other team and she has just shoved me even though I had already made the shot. She was probably mad that she couldn’t get her stick in front of me. My stick fell out of my hand when I had fallen. My teammate who had been running along my other side picked up my stick for me and offered her hand. I took it, and got up. I wasn’t hurt that badly from the fall, but my shoulder was throbbing from where she had hit me. Then I heard the whistle. Good she is getting called for the shove, I thought. Then I heard him say that it was a crease violation. A crease is the ring around the goal that no one can go into except for the goalie and according to the referee, my stick crossed that line so that was why it was a crease violation. I am trying my best to control my anger. My hands were gripping my stick tight and my knuckles were turning white. I almost went up to the referee and told him that I was way outside of the crease. The other team got the ball outside of the eighteen. I was determined to get it back. The fastest girl on their team got to take it. This wasn’t going to be easy. She took off at a sprint. I was right on her tail. Then she bent down. She must have dropped the ball! This was my chance. I came around her side being careful to make sure that I didn’t shove her out of the way and get called. She scooped up the ball pretty smoothly but I was faster. I hardly hit the head of her stick on the side and the ball fell out. I as fast as I could, I scooped up the ball and pulled the stick to my left side, the side that was away from her. I took off. She was right behind me coming up on my left side. I switched hands so that the stick was on my right side now. The goalie this time was in the net. I was a ways outside of the crease but I still shot. Fakes always work so I faked high and aimed it at the goalie’s feet so that It would be harder to stop. She fell for the fake, and the ball went in. Yes! That made most of my anger go away but I was still mad that my first shot of the season was a crease violation. Overall, it  was a great way to start off the season.

24dufaa@mausd.org

More by 24dufaa@mausd.org