Delanore's Crows

To the others I seem crazy. I don’t have much, barely scraping by in this soul sucking place our damned souls call home, but what leftovers I have, I give to the crows. To them my gifts are not overlooked as being to little, to them it is food and they are grateful. Because of their gratitude, I show mine when they bring me gifts of their own. Pebbles, stolen gems, bones, buttons and scrap metal are all placed neatly on my lawn. I keep all of my gifts, it would be rude not to. I treasure the trinkets that are given to me as if they are priceless, and to me they are. I love my gifts and I love the crows. They are like the family I never had, bringing me warmth and light from even the sight of their pitch feathers. I’m ashamed to say but I have a favorite. His obsidian eyes have the shine of crimson when he turns in the blazing sun. I would never call him mine, he is far too intelligent to be held down by ownership, even if only in spoken word alone. Yet, I do call him by a name I did not choose. I can hear it echoed across the wind whenever my eyes land on his precise feathers. I never speak the echoed name aloud when others are near as they would never understand that I, myself did not name him. Raum, a cursed and demonic name to my beloved feathered companion. I know he is not entirely a crow, his eyes say to much for it to be so. I will never reveal this to him. To live alone with crows is more merciful than being dragged to Hell by the one I love, for I know that is what he is here for.

cmhemingwa

YWP Alumni

More by cmhemingwa

• My Thoughts on Death

The concept of death is frightening to me but not in the way that it is for most people and it may make me sound callous or just cold, but I’m not scared of death itself exactly.
  • Modern Lord of the Flies

“At least we don’t have to wear uniforms anymore.” he says with a resigning sigh. The boys around him nodding along in agreement, stripping off what remains of their former uniforms, leaving them in only their cotton underpants.