Ideas

My play idea is a girl who plans out her time hour by hour.  She even plans out her weekends, designating time for eating, homework, taking a walk, spending time relaxing, etc.  She relies on her watch to let her know if she’s on track.  However, by being so reliant on her schedule, she often misses out on spontaneity and having fun, and things like relaxing are overshadowed by knowing that in a few minutes, her scheduled “homework time” begins.  One day she loses her watch, and at first she’s distraught. She now has to go about her day with no reference for whether she’s on schedule. She ends up realizing what she’s been missing by confining herself to her schedule.

Della

YWP Alumni

More by Della

• Plot rough outline

The play opens with Ava in her bedroom and her mother in the kitchen (The “bedroom” and “kitchen” are just opposite sides of the stage, but based on the fact the characters act like they can’t see each other, the audience understands they are in two
  • Secondary characters

Ava’s mom: an easygoing woman, she just wants what’s best for Ava. She worries about her daughter being so uptight, but she also knows Ava has to figure things out on her own. She loves to bake and garden. 
  • Characters

My play really has one main character, Ava.  Ava is a high school sophomore, and she’s very disciplined and structured.