Characters

My play really has one main character, Ava.  Ava is a high school sophomore, and she’s very disciplined and structured. She doesn’t want to waste any time, so she plans everything out—when she eats, sleeps, does homework, even the time she spends with friends. She’s a control freak, but when she loses her watch, she learns to relax a little. 

Ava is the type of person who loves things like colored pens and those little sticky notes in the shape of animals or flowers. She loves reading novels about people doing adventurous things—things she’d never dare to do—although she never reads longer than her scheduled reading time. She’s on the fringe of the “popular” group at school, and could’ve been fully part of it if she was a little more easygoing. As it is, though, she rarely attends parties she’s invited to, although she does eat lunch with her friends. 

Della

YWP Alumni

More by Della

• Plot rough outline

The play opens with Ava in her bedroom and her mother in the kitchen (The “bedroom” and “kitchen” are just opposite sides of the stage, but based on the fact the characters act like they can’t see each other, the audience understands they are in two
  • Secondary characters

Ava’s mom: an easygoing woman, she just wants what’s best for Ava. She worries about her daughter being so uptight, but she also knows Ava has to figure things out on her own. She loves to bake and garden. 
  • Intro

Hey, I’m SUPER late to this but I did this workshop my seventh grade year and had a lot of fun. Right now I’m a sophomore and I thought I’d give it another go since I have some free time.