The Forest

I ran into the clearing, the golden sunlight near blinded me, but I had no time to appreciate its beauty, the ogre's roars and tromping footsteps were barely behind me. The ogre had found me easily in the forest, even with its dark, looming trees blocking out most light, so here in a field, it would be quite easier to find me, but in the forest, I had difficulty navigating roots, (thank goodness I didn't trip, or I would have been ogre food!). With little time to think, I sprinted into the grassy field in front of me, just seconds before the ogre burst through the treeline. It scanned the plains with its grotesque face, and picked me out with ease, and charged like a bull mixed with a giant. I knew that in seconds it would overtake me, so I came up with the best plan I had at the moment. I ducked. It worked like a charm, the ogre’s pudgy legs quickly passed me over, and it ran for ten more yards before coming to a stop. By the time it turned around, I was dashing back to the trees, I knew I could find my spellbook in the forest. The ogre although surprised at the bold maneuver I made, was quickly making its way back to me. I ran with all my heart, back to the stump I had been reading my spellbook on, but I guess the ogre's heart was stronger because he scooped me up, just a second before I made it to my book. (I later learned that, in fact, ogre's hearts are stronger due to their massive size, duh.) He picked me up and sniffed me a couple of times, sneezed, and tried to put me in a sack he had at his side. It was a drastic situation, so I resorted to drastic measures, I slipped out of my robe and fell, naked, onto the forest floor. The ogre only realized what I had done after I had reached my book. I picked it up, and it magically flipped to the page on combat spells. I muttered an incantation,”Ì̴̞̹̖̽͆͘͜r̴̛͕̀͑̈́i̷͙͗̀ͅt̸͉͙̦͔͐̕͠h̶̩̝̱̯̏̄̌ ̷̛͇̣̫͌̈́̿M̴̭̦̯͒̆ỳ̷̬̙͕̎̌͜ņ̷͕̭̠̂̚͝a̴͕̝̽̓͠ͅì̸͍̗̈͘t̵͖̒̆̔͗͂h̸̭̄̒̔” and the ogres head was removed by a blazing ball of earth. The ogre's body fell to the ground aflame, with my robes included. I was heading back to school grounds when I realized that I was completely naked, in the middle of the forest, with no way of changing, maybe I should’ve used an ice spell instead.

Ezra Ahmed

More by Ezra Ahmed