Paperwind plane

Sitting in the same classroom for the fourth time this week. What could be more boring? Today is a fascinating lecture on who knows what. In fact, that notecard the teacher gave me, to write down something I learned, is more interesting than the class. Sketching that one thing that I know how to draw can get boring though. I choose to go for the origami route instead. Not real origami. I’m not that skilled. I’ll stick to a paper airplane. Yeah, a paper airplane. I flip the card over so the wings don’t have the blue stripes on them. Readjusting from my slouched position to leaning over my desk, I begin to fold. Meticulously bending the card to get the creases to stay. Then I find my target. The trashcan across the room. Oh, wait. The recycling bin,or else someone will call me out on putting paper in the trash. I hold my artwork between my index finger and thumb, releasing it just as my wrist flicks forward. Soon, I have no control over its path. Only the air can determine the whereabouts of the plane. As it nears the pencil sharpener bolted to the wall, a gust of wind redirects it. I didn’t even see that the window was open. Darn it. The line of travel that I calculated is ruined. Now, I can only hope that the teacher does not notice the piece of paper flying towards her arm. She won’t realize. Right?

Gretta K

More by Gretta K

• Two Sides of the Sea

The sharp horizon separates land from water. Without it, everything would be the sea. Foam at the tip of a wave bubbles up like a volcanic eruption engulfing everyone who tries to get in its way.
  • Too Much to Sense

One step,

The creak of the door as I step outside.

Another step,

The crunch of the gravel under my sole,

The whistle of a bird talking to his friend.

Another step,

The pattern of a duck’s tracks,
  • Part of Me

Kaylee. My best friend in the whole world. I can't think of a time when I didn't see her by my side. To everyone else, she's imaginary, to me she's as real as it gets. Everything about her is better than I could imagine.