The House On Tree Lane

An ordinary boy named Bruce Austen always walked to school on Tree lane. Bruce and his friends think it is the spooky, sketchy street of the whole town. Old houses scattered all on this lane. You never want to be caught on this street at night. He always passed by a sketchy house with his friends Abe and Simon. Bruce and his 2 friends were always so curious about what might be inside the house. 

The outside of the house had cobwebs hanging from the windows, chipped paint and always had one room with the light on. One day Bruce felt the courage to go knock on the door. “Come on!” Bruce said to Abe and Simon.  His friends were scaredy cats and they kept walking to school. Bruce walked up the steps that led to the front porch. He came face to face with the door and he knocked. Suddenly the light in the window shut off. Bruce swore he heard creepy music all around him. The door creaked open… but no one was there. Bruce stepped in and a CLOWN!  Jumped out at him he screamed and kept going deeper into the house like it was nothing. He didn’t notice that the clown was still watching him. Bruce walked into the living room and saw that it was all light and cheery. He saw a bouncy house with kids jumping inside it. “That’s weird.” Bruce thought. He stepped inside the bouncy house and touched one of the kids, it was a ghost. Bruces’s finger went right through the kid’s body. Bruce ran out of the bouncy house frightened. He realizes that the only part of the house he hadn't checked was the 2nd floor. 

As he was walking up the creaky staircase he heard the creepy music again.  When he got to the top he saw down the hallway a floating black mist with a dark figure inside coming toward him. Bruce stepped back and fell all the way down the stairs. He was knocked out. Bruce woke up it was dark out he must have slept through the day. Bruce got up and looked around wondering where he was. The room had a mini chandelier and old furniture. The furniture was all velvet red. It’s almost like Bruce traveled back in time. No one had velvet furniture in 2050. Bruce runs out of the room. He had enough with this house. He ran straight down the stairs and threw open the door. 

The cops were standing right on the doorstep. Bruce backed away leaving the door. They walked inside the house on to the doormat. The police looked around the house and noticed the kids jumping in the jumpy house. They rushed over to the kids, talking into their walkie talkies. “Why haven’t they noticed me?” Bruce thought. The cops ran upstairs before I could move. They all ran right through me. It felt so weird. Like a cold soul rushed through all my bones. Every single one of them. Right then I realized I was a ghost. 

The cops never came down those stairs again that night. I wondered if the same thing happened to them that happened to me. I was feeling depressed, like I was trapped in my own doing. Maybe I should have gone with my friends, not call them scaredy cats. Were Abe and Simon even my friends? Did they actually like me? I had to go outside into the night sky, let the feelings I am feeling drown me. I slipped through the door into the dark, looking behind me, thinking twice. I noticed that all the kids in the jumpy house were wearing the same necklace. I was too. I ripped it off, feeling angry at myself. “I just want to go home!” I screamed to the stars. All of a sudden I was lifted into the air. My body was getting stiff like a wooden stick. I dropped to the ground and stood up. I felt different almost like, I was me again. 

I ran to touch the old oak tree in the front yard. My hand didn't go through it. I felt the textures of the tree, It felt rough but soothing on the inside. I through the necklace back on the doorstep of the house and ran. I ran straight to my house. I knocked on my door and two elders came to the door. “Oh my gosh!” the old lady yelled. “Could it be!” the man blurted out. “Is that our son!”

lekstuta

More by lekstuta

• Running Behind

“Huff huff,” Trying to catch my breath knowing I have to keep going. The sweat on my face is telling me to speed up. I push on, checking the time on my watch. I can't stop until i’m done. I see the others finish. I'm close.
  • Relax

My day is done. My voice was heard. Now I can relax. Climb into my cozy pajamas, and rest. One long week has gone by, and the next two days are to myself. As I walk home I can see the busy traffic of people trying to get home to their families.