The Glass Castle (Part 5)

Everything was surpisingly calm after Death had an emotional breakdown in Cleo's kitchen, although the window was still broken. Cleo was at work, and Death was looking through her old Martha Stewart Living magazines. He was sprawled all over the couch, and utterly content. He moved his legs so that they were draped over the arms of the couch, which he thought was very funny and ironic. He checked the clock, scratched his knee. She should be home soon, he thought. A few minutes later he heard the key turning in the lock. 
"Hey!" said Cleo as she slipped off her shoes.
"I didn't realize that you locked me in here!"
"Oh. Yeah. Um." she said.
"It's okay," said Death, "I just didn't realize that you did it." Cleo turned red.
"...What? Did I say someting wrong?" said Death, noticing the change in Cleo's skin tone.
"No..." she said. "I guess I just didn't want you to leave." Death paused, and then decided to try to keep it light.
"That's nice, but I'm not really a lot of fun to have around. I mean, like, I kill your household bugs, make fun of your baking skills, break your window and then have an emotional break down in your kitchen!" Death joked, attempting to diffuse the growing tension. 
"Yeah..." said Cleo, "But I don't really have many friends."
"Oh." said Death. "Well, neither do I." And then Cleo laughed, in a full, loud way, and Death wanted so much to beam at her. So much that he felt a childish grin tugging at the ends of his dignified, lightly smirking lips. 
"So," she said, plopping down onto the couch. "What should we do for dinner?"
"Please don't cook," he replied. She laughed again, and Death couldn't help it. He grinned like a maniac. 
Through peals of laughter, she said "Oh really, I'm not that bad," laying her head on his shoulder and laughing under her breath.
Death froze. He didn't know what to do. So he just stayed, and, remarkably, he relaxed into her. Her hair was tickling him, but it smelled a bit like mangoes and coconut so it was okay. 
They sat there for a few minutes before Cleo broke the silence. "So...takeout?"
"Indian food. Or else"
"Wow! Okay then!" said Cleo. "Get the phone book."
"I have no idea where it is, but okay!" And he scampered off up the stairs, cackling slightly.
"Ohhh, my God. Death! Come back here!" And she ran up the stairs behind him.

PeachesMalone

More by PeachesMalone