When I wake up in the Morning

I woke up as a turkey today. It’s funny because I dreamed of Thanksgiving last night. My family and I were sitting around the table and I heard my mom say “Becky if you eat much more you are going to turn into a turkey.” 

Now that I think about it the day before I woke up as a cat. I had dreamt of my cat eating the flies in the window and enjoying a late afternoon nap.  

And the day before that I woke up as a bee. I dreamt that I had fallen into a beehive and was covered in bee stings from disturbing them.

And the day before that I woke up as an ant. I dreamt that I was eating pizza in the hall and the ants swarmed in wanting me to feed them. When I refused, they just kept multiplying.

I noticed a pattern. Whatever I dream the night before I wake up, I shapeshift to that animal and awake to be them. I miss being just a girl that lives in Oklahoma. I miss having to hide every morning before going downstairs for the dream to wear off. I miss being me. I miss being Becky.

rylee.mclam@oxbowhs.org

More by rylee.mclam@oxbowhs.org

• Starry

As I step outside onto the front porch,
    All that's there is the dark night sky and the cold midnight breeze on my face.
    I feel alone,
    There’s nothing,
    I see nothing,
    I feel nothing. 

But then,
    I look up.
  • record breaker

If I could break a world record it would be how many animals I could rescue in a year. There are many animals around the world that are either being abused or taken out of their habitats.
  • Rainbow

At the end of the rainbow,
    Where the color meets land,
    Wonders happen.

Some say there is no such thing. 
    Others believe there’s gold. 
    Or maybe there’s a whole new world.

Walking through the wide open field.