Spooky Street

The house at the end of my street is abandoned. It has been that way for as long as I can remember. The rickety old door with a large off white sign on the front that reads “NO TRESPASSING” in large red bold letters. Well actually just between me and you the red kind of resembles blood stains in my opinion. There are large pieces of yellow tape wrapped around posts as if trying to keep people out. Some pieces of tape flapped in the mid autumn breeze. I’m 17 and I have never seen any form of life in, around or even near this house.

Anyway I was walking home from school on a Friday afternoon, the usually. There is this large metal love seat swing on the front porch that must have been some shade of blue. The paint is worn off where a happy couple must have sat many years ago. The Swing being made of a heavy metal would be very hard for the wind to move. But as I was walking home on what seemed to be this fine autumn afternoon I caught a glimpse of movement from the corner of my eye. 

All of a sudden the air got really cold around me and the swing was rocking back and forth very quickly. Back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. With each swing there was a loud creek.

No one ever said I was very smart. I walked up to the house to figure out what was going on. I heard a voice crying for help. It sounded like the voice of my little brother who had gone missing 7 years ago. At this point there was no edge of fear stopping me. I busted down the door and ran inside. 

-2 days later-

Live with Jimmy Hendersons parents here on Spooky Street. Jimmy H. was last seen Friday afternoon leaving school. His backpack was found right here in this very spot. Police ask you to please contact them as soon as possible if you know anything more.

rylee.mclam@oxbowhs.org

More by rylee.mclam@oxbowhs.org

• Starry

As I step outside onto the front porch,
    All that's there is the dark night sky and the cold midnight breeze on my face.
    I feel alone,
    There’s nothing,
    I see nothing,
    I feel nothing. 

But then,
    I look up.
  • record breaker

If I could break a world record it would be how many animals I could rescue in a year. There are many animals around the world that are either being abused or taken out of their habitats.
  • Rainbow

At the end of the rainbow,
    Where the color meets land,
    Wonders happen.

Some say there is no such thing. 
    Others believe there’s gold. 
    Or maybe there’s a whole new world.

Walking through the wide open field.