Redo

If I could go back in time and change one thing I have many things that come rushing to my mind but one sticks out in particular. I was in second grade and for many years I would ride my horse in shows. It was late October and I had dressed my horse up as a poodle. Little did we know he didn’t like things on his legs. 

Both my mom and I were excited to get going so we had completely forgotten about a helmet. My horse and I were running around the area warming up before the show and the puffs we had put around his legs were bouncing up and down. One moment everything was great but the next thing I knew I was flying through the air. I hit the muddy ground hard and some lady I did not know came running and picked me up. I cried for a long time and didn’t open my eyes for five minutes. I was told to go to the hospital but I refused and threw a bigger fit when my parents said they were taking me. The deal was that if I stopped crying I wouldn’t have to go. 

For the next three days it had hurt to bend over. To this day, seven years later I still struggle with neck problems. If I could go back and redo that day I would have double checked my helmet to make sure it was on and test out having something new on his legs. After it had happened I should have gone to the hospital to assure that I would not have these problems down the road. 

rylee.mclam@oxbowhs.org

More by rylee.mclam@oxbowhs.org

• Starry

As I step outside onto the front porch,
    All that's there is the dark night sky and the cold midnight breeze on my face.
    I feel alone,
    There’s nothing,
    I see nothing,
    I feel nothing. 

But then,
    I look up.
  • record breaker

If I could break a world record it would be how many animals I could rescue in a year. There are many animals around the world that are either being abused or taken out of their habitats.
  • Rainbow

At the end of the rainbow,
    Where the color meets land,
    Wonders happen.

Some say there is no such thing. 
    Others believe there’s gold. 
    Or maybe there’s a whole new world.

Walking through the wide open field.