The Best at Losing

I’m a winner. Some might even say that I’m the best. I win at everything and I always give my all. I get higher grades than my friends, I get chosen to attend leadership conferences, I do what I can to help my soccer team win - and we usually do. I win the Kahoots and Quizlets at school, I win games online - hell, I even win most of my arguments.

It’s great. It’s awesome. It’s fun. But it’s not what I want.

I want to win at life.

Whether I find out my mother is dating a close family friend, that my friend has severe depression, or that my dad is moving six hours away, it seems that I just can’t win at the things that matter. No matter how many games of Rock, Paper, Scissors I win, I can’t erase the awkwardness I feel when I see the man I once knew as a friend, but now know as my mother’s lover. I can win every iMessage game that I play, but that won’t make my friend stop hating herself. I can win all the violin competitions, all the math contests, and all the Uno tournaments, but no trophy or medal can fill the hole I’ll have when my father leaves.

I guess I am the best.

The best at losing when it counts.

tashapea

More by tashapea

• Mirrors

He walked through the maze of corridors, trying to find his way back to the dining hall where his host was awaiting him. Who puts the damn bathroom so far away from the main hall anyway? he thought to himself as he wandered aimlessly.
  • Gen Z - Be Proud

Being a Gen Z kid myself, I might be a little biased, but sometimes, bias is good. People -millenials mostly- say that our generation is addicted to our phones, that we can’t be taken away from them.