The Day My Sister Realized Reality was True

I was 11 years old when my sister ran away from home because of our daddy getting arrested the previous week. I knew that they were close, but I didn’t think that she would run away because of  it. My sister was 7 years old and very blind when it came to reality. She had a huge imagination and always had music on her mind. When she didn’t come inside for dinner my mom and I got worried because at the time we didn’t live in the best neighborhood. That night I could barely sleep thinking about my sister and where she could be, and whether she was safe or not. Mom and I weren’t just worried about my sister, but we were worried about daddy too.

The next day, my mom and I went to the Porter's house. I had remembered that their son Jack was obsessed with making newspapers for people in our neighborhood because no one ever put us in the newspaper. They said we didn’t matter and nobody wanted to hear about us. When we got to the Porter’s house I saw Jack and his brother playing hopscotch in the front yard. I went up and asked if he had any new articles, and he said yes. So we went upstairs to his room and he showed me my daddy’s article, and then he said “And here’s the latest.” He handed me a sheet that said...  

Local Police Arrests Girl For Saying “No!”

On Monday February 22 1961, black girl was arrested for saying “No!” to an officer on duty. Officer Davies asked her to go home from a local restaurant, Macey’s, because she sat down at the wrong table. The girl had already been mad at the local police for arresting her dad, previous to the event. She has been arrested because of her actions of saying “No!” She will be in containment for a minimum of four weeks, depending on how she behaves.

It was my sister! I ran downstairs as fast as I could and showed the article to my mom who was talking with Mrs. Porter about Darlene, my sister. When she saw the article, she stood there in relief  (but also looked worried). I asked why, but she continued to stare like she had seen a ghost. So I decided to ask her later. After we left the Porter’s house we went to the local police station to see my sister and check on daddy. They wouldn’t let us in because apparently it wasn’t “visiting hours.” So we went home. And when I went to bed the same thing happened that had happened a few nights ago, the same thing where I couldn’t sleep, except tonight I had a dream about me never seeing my sister or daddy ever again.

6 Weeks Later

My mom and I were eating breakfast, talking about school when there was a knock on the door. I jumped up out of my chair very excitedly as my mom followed after me. I opened the door and there stood a very tall man looking at me. His badge said, Officer Davies. I couldn’t stop thinking about my dream. Then my mom interrupted my thoughts by saying “Hello officer, how are you today?” He looked down at my mom as if to say “Horrible, your self?” But he actually said, “Your Daughter Darlene, is being returned from containment.” Then went and got her from the car and drove off. Darlene came running up from the road crying and saying she was sorry over and over again. And mom and I gave her a huge hug and said “It’s ok.” From that day on, Darlene realized reality was true and to never doubt it again.  

--K

Thetford Academy

More by Thetford Academy