To the Top of the Mountain and Back

It was one of those days that was about 50 degrees, but it was really hot for that time of year. My family and I went to New Hampshire to go to the top of  Mount Washington. We had never done it before so we thought it would be something fun to do. It was my mom, my sister, my Mom’s friend Jen, my Mom’s other friend Mandi, and me. We went to the candy store first, which was really cool. It was the biggest candy store I have ever seen.  As we walked in, the walls were lined with jars full of different kinds of candies. Then in the middle of the candy shop there were stands with buckets of different kinds of chocolates. I turned around to my mom amazed at what we had just walked into; it seemed like a candy land. Then as I turned to my right I saw even more candy, and I didn’t think it was possible for there to be more. There was candy in bins hanging on the wall and tons of fudge in a glass case. I turned around again to my Mom with an astonished look on my face and she said,  “Go ahead, you can look around.” I went and looked around. It was like being in a Gingerbread house full of candy. I walked around in circles looking high and low at candy, whether it was chocolate or gummies. There was everything from gluten-free candy to the yummiest looking candy. My Mom let me and my sister pick out some candy. I grabbed a bag and put some gummy sharks in it. Then, I put some skittles in the bag and I was good to go. My mom then paid the lady at the register and we drove to the mountains. We got there a little while later and Mandi rolled down her window. There was a man at a stand waiting for cars. He told us a little about the mountain and gave us a sticker. After the man was done talking, we drove up the mountain.

We stopped a little way up the mountain to take pictures. We pulled into the pull off on the side of the road and got out. My Mom, Mandi, my sister and I were in the picture with the gorgeous view of the mountains behind us. Then we got back in the car and went up the mountain more. We all looked around to see the beautiful views everywhere. We got up to a part in the mountain where there were a bunch of rocks, so we pulled off to the side so we could get out again. Then we all got out and carefully were climbing on the rocks to take a group picture. The view from the rocks was amazing, it was a breathtaking view. We got back in the car again and went up the mountain some more. We stopped again and pulled off to take one last picture before we were at the top of the Mountain.  All got out again and my Mom, Mandi, and I were trying to take another picture when the wind picked up. Then it got so windy when we tried to take the picture that my feet went up off the ground just a little bit, my Mom and Mandi pulled me down to the ground. They held me there until the picture was over and then we walked back to the car. 

We drove to the top of Mount Washington and went into the building. The building was a historic hotel that was built in 1853. It was pretty cool, but very cold at the same time. After we had checked out the building and drove back down the mountain we went to lunch. We ate at a dinner that was really good. We all got stuffed from the food and we headed home. It was a long day but a fun one. I enjoyed every part - well except almost getting blown away.

Thetford Academy

YWP Instructor

More by Thetford Academy