Winter in New England

Most people say that they like summer; well, I like winter. The cold chill, snowflakes in the air falling in slow motion, gliding down like a weightless feather. I love walking up a mountain and seeing squirrels, birds, and snow falling through pine trees. Watching a deer in a field and seeing it jump up and down to get through the thick snow, then seeing a fawn try to follow its mother through the snow. 

It is always fun to drive down the road and see kids or your siblings making a snowman, having a snowball fight or sledding a downhill with the cold air whipping through their faces. The sting of the snow when it hits your face after you fall down the mountain. Making a snow sculpture taller than you then trying to knock it down with your friends. 

Another great part of winter is the smell of sap boiling in the sugar houses, such a sweet smell. Sugar houses filled with family and friends laughing, eating and telling stories about hunting monster bucks and bears. 

The best thing is to wake up in the morning and look at the sunrise over the mountains and reflection off the snow. It makes me think of Christmas, families in their homes with big Christmas trees covered with lights. The peacefulness and feeling of joy it makes it truly the most wonderful time of the year.

Thetford Academy

More by Thetford Academy