The Funny Dish Washing Incident

"Hey sis? Are to ladies allowed to kiss each other?" asks my five year old sister Maive as I washed dishes in the sink. The water was loud, but I think I got the question.
"What?" I said and sprayed a dish. "No." I said. "its not ok, thats not allowed"
Maive blinked very confused as I banged pots and pans around. "They'er not?"
"nope. Thats not ok" I said, suprised she was confused.
"What about men?" 
"No. it goes for both." I said smiling at her sillyness and scrubbed loudly away at a pot. 
"Not even at a wedding??" she questioned with round eyes.
"what? oh, no especially not at a wedding Maive, why would you do that at a wedding? Thats not acceptable " I said. I start a new pot.
"So then why do you?" she asked. she looked confusingly between me and the person washing pots in the sink with me.
I was perplexed. "I don't maive." I said, spraying the pot. 
"I mean- Unless I'm dancing and it just happens but thats cause everyone is so close, ya know?"
"huh?" Maive said, extremely confused. "But I thought it was always allowed. Can't they do it if they want to?"
I turn the water off. This is serious. "I don't maive. No one should. Its not acceptable."
"But when people love each other they should be able too." she knowingly. 

I was getting worried, what is my sister thinking?
"No. Maive" I said slowly. She needed to understand this. 
"Ladies are not aloud to KICK each other. Nooo kicking. Its mean, and  its not allowed. especially not at weddings!!" 
Maive stared up at me. 
"wait." she said.
"WHAT?" 
"I asked if Ladies were allowed to KISS. Like when two people love each other very much. Are they allowed to do that?"
I held my soapy hands out in front of me. I blinked twice. That explains a LOT.
Stupid loud dish washing.
I coughed, feeling very embarressed. 
"Yes Maive" I said, lowering my hands. I felt so silly. "Yes of course. ladies are allowed to kiss and men are allowed to kiss because they love each other very much. It is always ok. Especially at weddings." 
"Ok" She said nodding happily. "thats good. Love is love, so they should be able to be happy and kiss, especially at weddings."
I slapped my soappy palm to my forhead after she happily skipped out of the room. To think I almost told her otherwise...
My girlfriend grabbed a pot and started washing. She could not stop laughing.

Treblemaker

NY

YWP Alumni Advisor

More by Treblemaker