Fall is Something of Change

Fall is Something of Change

My friend mentioned she was sad to see the leaves drop. She said this as if the shedding oak trees were a disgrace to her. As if their nakedness wasn’t breathtaking in the eyes of an artist. What might she think of the birds that molt so they may heal their wounds? I reckon she is afraid of change.

I tell her they are beautiful with their orange elegance, descending upon the ground in a waltz, how the air twirls them and delicately lets them go, scattering them across the grass and streets. They are the stars of autumn, yet all she notices are the overcast clouds. The ghostly frost that blankets the green earth of summer: the season that claims her heart. I reckon she is afraid of change.

She remarks on the pride of the pines and how they refuse to succumb to the cold—adoring their perseverance and continued presence in the plight chill of fall. They, too, drop piles of ginger needles under their bodies. Perhaps if she knew of their patience, she would participate in their pilgrimage to peace. I reckon she is afraid of change.

Her roots have faded stunningly, yet she gazes at the girl in the river and claims she is that of dirt. However, the mud means life, protecting the frogs as they hibernate, submerging stones so they don’t spree, and vigorously nursing the willows so they may soak their nutrients to return in spring. We watch the water pass, but I can no longer dip my toes like we had months ago. I say to her, she is the silver lining of the ripples along the poking rocks. To her, though, silver means aging. I reckon she is afraid of change.

This is her last fall as a girl. No more jumping into clumps of leaves, no more childish excitement for running around in puffy jackets, or decorating the house with wonderful wreaths of various flowers. She is no longer free of responsibilities that linger closer to the upcoming months. This season is the graduation of her childhood. She weeps; I am not ready for winter. I ask her to enjoy what is left of her youth. Cover her bed with heavy quilts so she does not suffer through the night. Listen to the wind whistle and smell the tinges of cider. She should not harp on the shift in colors but rather appreciate them while its final days last. She is afraid of change. Ultimately, by next autumn, her feathers will be shed.

ruth petit

Sawyer Fell

PA

The Voice

November 2023

• Essay

By YWP

Fall Contest: Congratulations!

From the beautiful and overflowing cornucopia of submissions to YWP's Fall Contest, and after much discussion and debate, our judges settled on one Gold award winner in each of the two categories of w...

• The Eldest of the Seasons

if life is but a dream for the deadmay you visit us during autumn, the eldest of the seasonsletting your fragile bones be exposed to the crisp air of octoberletting your fingertips run over the bars o...

• The Messenger

I make a right turn down Condor Avenue with my shoulders held high near my exposed neck and my hands shoved deep into my pockets. New York always seems to become unbearably brisk at this time of year,...

• Fall is Something of Change

My friend mentioned she was sad to see the leaves drop. She said this as if the shedding oak trees were a disgrace to her. As if their nakedness wasn’t breathtaking in the eyes of an artist. What migh...

• Old Skin

Fall had come, and close to its end, it approached. The air became brisk, with winter awaiting in the future, and as a girl wandered down the sidewalk, autumn's old skin shifted through the air ab...

• The Maple

When I was growing up, I lived in a state of confusion. The state that I lived in had autumn, like all the rest, but never seemed to know it; that, in turn, confused me. All the books in my kindergart...

• Nature at its Best

Essay written by Noah Westman, Williston Central SchoolI see fall as a time of beauty, change and hope. As I see it, fall is almost the most beautiful time of the year. Fall has an incredible amount o...

• The Orchestra of Fall

Autumn leaves flutter around my head,The color popping in the chilly,Swirling air.The veins stretch out,Delicate within the leaves.They connect,Creating a web of beauty:A beautiful array of pulses,Sli...

• Falling Words

We reach for the sunlight,as itleaves us shadowsof the mountainsin the meadows. We look for the milkweed,floatingin the late evening,sunlight hitting themthe seeds glow, like dreams spreading. We hea...

• Autumn's Evergreen

Autumn is when you leftand the feelings inside of me were storm clouds,each drop of rain an emotionSadnessReliefFearAutumn is my releaseFeet pounding on leaf scattered trailsCrisp air, breathe it in t...

• The Artist of Fall

When night awakes sooner,and the stars become brighter,Fall descends onto the land.Soon enough, winter will bring its false sand,until then, the leaves paint the sky-as the trees and wind begin to sig...

• The Death March of Autumn

it's 11:20 on a cloudy october night and the world is falling to my feet. the world is falling to my feet as autumn leaves perform their death march to the ground as bloodied shoes scatter the streets...

• Every Fall

I fall in love with you every fall.Seeing your face after a summer awaysends shock waves through my body.I forget I love youuntil the air starts cooling,until school starts again.You fall in love with...