Saying Sorry

A butterfly effect, this is something so real it’s fictional. Maybe you've heard the term used in a lecture or in a fictional movie about time travel. No matter where you have heard it, the term has been used in the same way: a small event that may seem insignificant at the time can have major impacts on much larger parts of life.

You will offend people or hurt them during your time on earth. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t mean to or if you did. There is something that is always necessary to complete the cleanup: saying sorry. Two simple words could change someone's whole dynamic. When you say: “I’m sorry,” you essentially let them know that what happened to them is not because of something they did but because of a lapse in your judgment.

If someone’s parents abandon them at a young age they spend the rest of their lives asking: why wasn’t I good enough for them? This causes them to seek approval from others for a majority of their mature life. I am making a vast generalization; however, I think there is some truth to it. The parents need to reach out and let them know that it was never their fault and that they are enough. Simply saying I'm sorry can not only mend broken relationships but can stop an oncoming ripple of consequences made by their actions.

Saying sorry doesn’t have to be on such a large scale either. When someone is mad at you yet you don’t know what you have done, you don’t question it, you just say sorry. Or at least that is what my mom has taught me from a young age. She has always expressed that you do not want to be the person who is too scared or too stubborn to be sorry. 

Posted in response to the challenge Butterfly.

Sam Parkman

More by Sam Parkman