I’m not just Rob

Hello, my friend, I would love to tell you a story of how we got here. So, all my life I thought I was real. I would wake up, say hello to my bird, brush my teeth, and go to work. I worked in a department store my whole life. I didn’t remember any fantasies of being a child, or my nonexistent family. I was just Rob. No last name, no nothing. I had friends, Bill, Ed, and Will, who worked at the department store with me. There were only two types of people in this town; people like me, who worked at the department store—, and then there are the Legends. They are practically royalty in this town. Riding around in monster trucks, wearing fur coats, and everyone liked them.

Until Her.

Unlike them, she was kind, biked around on a mountain bike, wore a simple tunic with breeches.

She was locked away, though.

One night, I heard a grunt and a man's scream. I whipped around the building to see her being cornered by the Legends. She took down three, but more were coming. They took her into a van and drove away.

I was different after that.

I had thoughts, feelings, and emotions.

One day, I was heading to work, but saw something, and stopped in my tracks. 

There she was, auburn hair whipping in the wind.

She motioned for me to go back into my house, and she followed. When she got inside, she took off the bandana around her mouth, and started speaking.

“I am different from Legends. I’m a Kind” A pause. “They took me away to a prison with other Kinds. We know what is really going on, and we're going to rebel.”

“Rob, you are not real. Neither are the legends or even the kinds. We are dolls, action figures, however you want to think about it. We are being controlled by something… else.””The Legends think that if they are harsh and controlling, they will become self-sentient” I told her how after she was captured, I found emotions and thoughts, and we gathered everyone except legends and we left.

We found this place where we all felt… right, and we settled down.

And now, I’m telling this story to you so that you understand that whenever you play with an “inanimate” object, consider what it may think.

Posted in response to the challenge Fourth.

ccfitz

More by ccfitz