Belief is Life

"Belief is Life"

By Adeline, 12, Lyme, NH, submitted by Steven Glazer, Crossroads Academy

This World is not Conclusion.
A Species stands beyond -
Invisible, as Music -
But positive, as Sound -
It beckons, and it baffles -
Philosophy, don’t know -
And through a Riddle, at the last -
Sagacity, must go -
To guess it, puzzles scholars -
To gain it, Men have borne
Contempt of Generations
And Crucifixion, shown -
Faith slips - and laughs, and rallies -
Blushes, if any see -
Plucks at a twig of Evidence -
And asks a Vane, the way -
Much Gesture, from the Pulpit -
Strong Hallelujahs roll -
Narcotics cannot still the Tooth
That nibbles at the soul -

“This World is not Conclusion.” was written by Emily Dickinson in 1862; a century later, Ralph W. Franklin assigned it Franklin number 373. This poem has a deep impact on society because of the theories it introduces to the mind and heart. It proposes the surmise of life’s relationship with its friend, or rather foe, death. Although both of these topics have differences, Dickinson doesn’t intend to compare and contrast them. This poem was published in Poems of Emily Dickinson, Third Series, in 1896, over thirty years after it was composed. However, when it first appeared in print, it had been altered and changed to express the desire of Mabel Todd and Thomas Wentworth Higginson. Thankfully, today Dickinson’s true words have returned to the foreground and anyone can read the poem through her perspective. Ultimately, anyone can sit next to Emily Dickinson and wonder where life begins and eternity ends.
Dickinson didn’t assign titles to her poems, the first line in substitute, became the title. For example, “This World is not Conclusion.” is the first line and also the title of this masterful poem. Dickinson then writes “A Species Stands Beyond -” (2). Originally, the word species was changed by Emily Dickinson’s editors. At one point the word had been replaced and then the publishers settled on removing it altogether. But while removing the word, they removed its hidden meaning as well. Dickinson shifted the word's definition to not only a living organism but also an unknown creature humanity had yet to learn about. Her next two lines state similarly, “Invisible, as Music - / But positive, as Sound -” (3-4). Something exists after death, it is as real as sound and as unseen as music. She uses this analogy to present the knowledge of what must lie beyond life itself. “It beckons, and it baffles -” (5). The uncertainty and wonder are never put to rest as the truth refuses to show itself: “Philosophy, don’t know -” (6). In a way, there must be a world we merely can’t see from where we are. Philosophy and science can’t explain the future beyond the conclusion of this life on earth. Such a conclusion represents the death of oneself and another, the ending of a life. But perhaps, death is also the beginning of something greater.“And through a Riddle, at the last - / Sagacity, must go -” (7-8). These all-important lines explain that Dickinson believed no amount of sagacity or wisdom, will ever help a man to begin unraveling this great theory of a world beyond the one we are in. It is useless against the potential of such knowledge. No man, even with a bright mind and determined heart, has ever been able to solve the darkening mystery. A human being will indefinitely fail to explain it and determine its limits. Brilliance is not an advantage when it comes to such a riddle.

“To guess it, puzzles scholars - (9)”

Making assumptions is of no good to those who have never considered similar things in their lifetime. “To gain it, Men have borne” (10). Mentioning those men who have dared in the past to search holy texts for answers to their curiosity or wonder. Presumably to put themselves at ease when thinking of the vast beyond and finding excuses for when it is too much to bear.
“And Crucifixion, shown -” (12) Some are blamed for the uncertainty, and face a fate few would be able to comprehend. Crucifixion is the execution of someone by nailing or binding them to a cross. Dickinson ties in the history of Christians and religion, proving Jesus Christ was held accountable for the unknown even when it was the break of society. The crucifixion of Christ was put in place due to fear and timidness. With the initial edits, the finale was the line that mentions crucifixion. Both publishers, Thomas Higginson and Mabel Todd thought that such a powerful use of words was the meaningful ending of the poem. Higginson and Todd also decided to end Dickinson’s poem with the twelfth line due to how she depicted priests in her lifetime. “Much Gesture, from the Pulpit -” (17) proves Dickinson's view on the help provided by priests and priestesses. She claims their beliefs neither have absolute access nor support of documentation of what lies beyond. Of course, both editors would rather not exploit the truth of clergymen, therefore they altered Dickinson’s poem to their satisfaction. Dickinson would beg to differ, considering she was just barely getting started with this poem when her editors decided to end it on the twelfth line, completely altering the meaning of her work.

Many mistake faith as an excuse for needing a world beyond. While in reality, it is just a different way of defending a belief in the afterlife. “Faith slips - and laughs, and rallies -” (13) It can slip and laugh in the face of a believer. “Blushes, if any see -” (14) Faith or religion can become embarrassing once it is looked down upon and viewed as a weakness or justification for believing in the afterlife. “Plucks at a twig of Evidence -” (15) Sadly there is no evidence of the next world. But just because you can’t tangibly hold things doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Things such as hope, integrity, love, and courage are all that the human race can’t grasp with their two bare hands, but these things still remain essential in this life. Similar to what Dickinson is striding towards in this poem, belief is life.

Towards the end of the poem Dickinson makes lucid similarities between a toothache and doubt. She mentions how distractions, or in other words narcotics can’t put feelings of unease to rest. Both things affected her greatly. They are different concepts, yet have the same intent. Just like how many men and women decide to grasp a wisp of hope or truth they stumble upon in their faith. Hallelujahs are sung in church by priests and supporters. The Hallelujahs show how easily people believe in something that could be nonexistent. Especially when Dickinson writes “Narcotics cannot still the Tooth / That nibbles at the soul -” (19-20) Because such determination for truth is impossible to suppress, doubt is even harder to remove. It is still difficult to sufficiently eliminate curiosity such as the questions that dwell in those who bear religious beliefs. While narcotics might ease your worry and your suffering at the hands of the unknown, it doesn’t ultimately mean that the pain has released you. Whilst, if any man refuses to abide by religion there is still the matter of whether or not death is the cruel reality of this world with nothing beyond it. Or perhaps it is simply candidly controlled by the manipulative power of fate. If it is the latter, how often has fate interfered with the ending of lives? Specifically in war? Death occurs too frequently for it to be the ending point of another's existence. Some people during Dickinson’s era and even today believe death is only the beginning of something foreign and new. However, even the most persuasive of men can’t convince those who think of death as something greater than this world, that is actually something to be feared; a monster.

“This World is not Conclusion.” is a deep and expressive poem written by Emily Dickinson who has also faced similar doubts about her beliefs and religion. It is an admirable poem that has become so intriguing due to the statement it begins with, and the uncertainty it ends with. Dickinson is flabbergasted by the theory of other worlds beyond the one she is living in and she grasps the possibility of a new journey after death. The extended metaphor in this poem states life can’t possibly be the end of it all. The unrevealed answers are breathtakingly endless. Her final conclusion is that there must be a world beyond the one we know.

YWP

Site Admin

More by YWP