Vermont Poets! You could be the state's first Youth Poet Laureate!

News

Logo for Vermont Youth Poet Laureate

If you are a Vermont teen poet, between 13 and 19 years of age, this is an exciting opportunity for you! Submit a portfolio of your original poetry and a CV that showcases your artistic excellence and community impact. There is a $500 cash prize and multiple chances to share your work and learn from other poets. Submissions are open Feb. 1 - 28 at youthlaureate.org.

Logo of sundog poetry

The Vermont Youth Poet Laureate program is being presented in Vermont by our partner, Sundog Poetry, and the program's founding organization, Urban Word. Please go to sundogpoetry.org/youth for all the details about the Vermont program. Here are some highlights:

The Laureate receives:

• $500 cash prize
  • Invitation to regional competition
  • Public readings in Vermont
  • Letterpress print of an original poem with Vermont's Ruth Stone House

All finalists receive:

• Invitation to participate in national workshops with some of America’s most celebrated poets

The National Youth Poet Laureate Program, founded by Urban Word, is active in more than 70 U.S. cities, states, and counties. Youth Poets Laureate have shared their poetry across the U.S. at City Halls, the Library of Congress, the White House & the U.S. Capital. Remember National Youth Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman's brilliant performance of her poem, “The Hill We Climb,” at President Biden's inauguration in January 2021?

Questions about the Vermont Youth Poet Laureate?