When You Can-A Fictional Story With a Real Message

I can't do it! she thought miserably, clutching the cold rock on the side of the mountain, her fingers blistered and peeled. "You can!" said a voice. Real or a figure of imagination, she did not know. But it was the voice of her friend. Marko? She thought back. She kept her eyes closed. C'mon, Ansley! You can do it!" said Marko. Ansley peeled her face from the stone, probably giving herself an even bigger scratch, she thought, and started to climb. 

One foot at a time. Up, up and up. Ansley's vision was blurry. Her head spinning. But at some point she made it. Fingers raw, feet aching, she claimed her golden medal. Not real gold, of course, but nobody cares about that little detail. "WOOOHOOOOO!" she screamed. 

She saw Marko at the bottom of the mountain, covered in purple and orange face paint, cheering for her. "The winner of the para-sporting-climbing competition is – Ansley!"

Ansley had made it up the mountain the quickest. She had won the medal. She put her prosthetic leg on a rock at the top, her hands in a hero position.

"I am proud to be in the para-sporting-climbing competition," she said in an interview. "I'm really happy to show what I can do, even with a prosthetic leg."

Posted in response to the challenge Climber.

abigail_and_bean

More by abigail_and_bean

• Willow's Well

Willow's Well is a well that is said to grant wishes-at least, that's what the locals say. You can only make one wish though, and it's likely it'll never come true, for the Well is said to only ever grant a worthy wish.

• Words

Words drift by me, leading up to the great night sky. I watch them, all spiraling from an open book. The book has a sort of magic coming from it, an essence. I walk toward the book and hold out my hand above it. In my palm appears a word.