Pressures of Love

For anyone who's been thinking about Valentine's day, or not, I just wish so much that for once I could get someone to like me back. But then do I? It's fine to be single and I'm fine being single, but I hate being called single. because the word single feels like “oh yeah I'm single” meaning “oh yeah, I'm open and looking for a relationship”. So then I'm just not interested right? People ask and i say “I'm not interested in a relationship right now” but now that sounds to people like I'm heartbroken but how else do you say it? But really who is going to ask if I'm single no one does that. But am I really not interested? Or just not interested in anyone but the few people that actually I really like . Being a teen has so many pressures, school, friends, family, getting a job, working at said job, dating. To me dating is the most stupid and unnecessary one of them all. You have your whole life ahead of you when you're a teenager, that goes for being 13 or 19. As a teen you've barely lived a quarter of your life if that, and you are still finding yourself. you are going through so many big changes and everything is brand new and so scary. You have so much left to find out and see and feel. And so many new people to meet. You should not feel any pressure to be dating anyone. What especially makes me upset is that  people tell you and make you feel like being single is seemingly fine, unless you want to be. It's ‘so weird’ to not want a relationship, or just be okay with being single. Dating as a teen adds a lot of pressure to life that not everyone wants. Some teens that are looking for love are looking to date someone and be exclusive and kiss and hold hands and only hang out with that person and not talk to anyone who could potentially be a threat. That's fine if you really know that, that is what you want, but i think a lot of people are not ready for that and don't really want that. They just feel the pressure to, and/or think that's what they are supposed to want. Being supposed to want things and do things is a huge problem. and parents and teachers talk about not giving into peer pressure. But pressure to do things comes from everyone and everything so much so that it doesn't feel like pressure it just feels like that's what you're supposed to want. And if you don't there's something wrong with you or you are special. When you are 16 you don't need to hate your parents. When you are 14 you don't need to want to kiss people. When you are 13 you don't need to want to wear makeup. When you are 15 you don't need to want to sneak out and party. when you are 17 you don't need to want to drink. When you are 18 you don't need to know what you want to be for the rest of your life. When you are 19 you don't need to feel like an adult. Take things at your pace, everyone is different and feels and wants different things at different times.

If you do feel the way I described, that's great! If you want a relationship that's amazing. If you don't, that's amazing. You're not late, you're not out of time. There is nothing wrong with you. 

Take life at the pace you want to take it.

Sincerely, 

written.aura

written.aura

More by written.aura