For The Kids' Sake, Please

In early February of 2024, gang violence in Haiti's capital, Port-au-Prince, escalated to levels so high that now nearly 80% of the capital city is under gang rule. De-facto Prime Minister Ariel Henry, whom the public barely supports, is stuck in Puerto Rico as the gangs captured the main airport into and out of Haiti.

12 kids and 2 adults living in and working at the Notre-Dame du Perpétuel Secours orphanage, in Port-au-Prince, were forced to flee to a nearby city, leaving behind some of their family members and home of many years. The United Church of Lincoln, Vermont, has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to provide for the purchase of new land, building a new building, and build a large fence, on-grounds well, indoor plumbing (including a working toilet), pay staff's salaries, provide for food and clothing for the children, and purchase school supplies for the oldest children who attend school outside of the orphanage. This past year, over $21,000 was raised and sent to the orphanage.

Until February, members UCoL considered the orphanage relatively "safe." Now, the kids are back to where they were just 7 years earlier: sleeping on tarps in a rented house, victims of senseless violence and danger, not knowing if they'll make it to their next meal, let alone actually have a meal. 

It is time for intervention in Haiti. Joe Biden and the U.S. Government wield the power it would take to stop the violence and restore government in Haiti. The last time there was an armed intervention in Haiti by the United States was under Bill Clinton. There have been no elections held in Haiti since 2016. There is no legislature, no judiciary, and no local municipal government. Thousands of violent prisoners now run free after Haiti's main jail was overtaken by gangs.

When will the United States stop letting violence like this go unchecked? I don't know. But it's past due time we start. Please, for the kids' sake.

Wyatt_M

More by Wyatt_M

• Sugaring

Steam rises from the chimney
    with a G-rated "come hither"
    into the cerulean blue sky.

You feel drawn towards it
    like a moth to a porch light
    on a warm June evening.
    "Come hither."

• Billy, part 2

A second, smaller part of the previous post I made entitled "Billy, part 1"

Billy did not own a home. Instead, he lived out of his truck. 

• Billy, part 1

This is just a little thing I have been slowly working on over the past few days. I don't know if its going to go anywhere farther than this.