In The Dusk

In the dusk, winds blow, rustling the tree branches upon the trees. A forest opens into a wide field eventually leading to a small farm in a small town. But this town doesn't show up in this story. At least, not yet. A small rabbit senses a change in the air. The rabbit lifts its head, sniffing the air. Then, she jumps up and races through the damp forest.

"Spring is coming!" she calls to the fox, who perks up at the sound of the rabbit's voice. 

"Spring is coming?" the fox asks, then thinks for a minute. "Spring is coming!" the fox says, coming to the same conclusion. 

The fox scampers over to a vast cave in the side of a small mountain. "Spring is coming!" the fox yelps, awakening the bear.

"Spring is coming," the bear's deep voice growls in reply. 

The fox then hurries over to the beehive in the center of the forest, because you can never trust a bear to do a fox's work. 

"Spring is coming!" the fox yelps yet again, awakening the slumbered bees. 

A chorus of buzzes follows, as the bees move their sleepy wings and leave the hive. A group of bees wake the birds, and buzz, "Spring izz coming!" 

The birds flutter up, the moon now high in the sky. 

"Spring is coming!" they chirp. They fly, and fly, and fly until they reach the small town. The birds find the raccoons rummaging through a garbage can. 

"Spring is coming!" the raccoons look up and stop with their scrounging, after all, this was very important news to spread. 

The raccoons peak through the window of a small house and whisper to the mice, "Spring is coming!"

The mice nod and run for a hole, on their way out squeaking to the cat that was currently trying to catch them, "Spring is coming!" The mice race through the fields, alerting the bugs and worms of the urgent news.

As the night passes, the grass grows greener. The animals of the forest wait at the forest edge as the sun rises. The small rabbit smiles as the warm breeze hits her face. 

"Spring is here."

Posted in response to the challenge Spring: Writing Contest.

abigail_and_bean

More by abigail_and_bean