Jul 16

Vengeful

The children's eyes were blank, set upon the man they surrounded. They all held weapons and stomped the ground in the same rhythm, their voices following one another with false sincerity, true sound, and neutral words.

"What do we do with a drunken savior?
What do we do with a drunken savior?
What do we do with a drunken savior?
‎Oh, what do we do with a drunken savior,
‎at this time-a night?"

In tandem, the army of kids raised their weapons - cleavers, axes too large for them, swords stolen from fathers, guns from their older brothers. Knives from the kitchen cupboard. Things that should have been too heavy for them were wielded with ease.

Together, they murmured the last verses of their song, eyes almost falling shut.

"Up and down, his chest still rises,
Up and down, his chest still rises,
Up and down, his chest still rises,
At this time-a night."

Once their eyes opened, their voices remained soft, childish, the tones of children younger than seven. Their words, however, were not those of a child's. Their stomping grew louder, and their chanting did the same.

"You sling a noose around his neck,
You sling a noose around his neck,
You sling a noose around his neck,
At this time-a night."

Their chanting grew rougher, leaderless, but still together. They stepped towards the man they were sentencing.

"Give him to the hungry dogs for dinner,
Give him to the hungry dogs for dinner,
Give him to the hungry dogs for dinner,
Once he leaves his home."

Encircling the man, one raised her shovel, pointing at him. They were about five feet away from the man and formed a wall around the criminal, all with weapons aimed for his head.

"Up and down his chest still rises
Up and down his chest still rises
Up and down his chest still rises
At the time-a night."

The girl who had raised her weapon higher than the rest started to sing, her voice alone murmuring the words. The abandoned street they stood in made her voice seem darker, deeper, stronger.

"Hold him down beneath the water,
Hold him down beneath the water,
Hold him down beneath the water,
As the sun is set-ting."

She opened her eyes fully as she finished the song, her eyes completely black. Her voice was throaty, yet menacing as she ended what had begun.

"Slip some poison in his drink,
Slip some poison in his drink,
Slip some poison in his drink,
As the moon rise-es."

The other children joined her as she finished the dark mantra.

"Up and down, his chest still rises,
Up and down his chest still rises,
Up and down his chest still rises,
At this time-a night."

At the last verse, the children ran at the man. They converged on him, surrounding him, leaving him no way to escape. A gunshot rang out to accompany his scream as he fell to the ground, the vengeful children taking their revenge on the false savior.

When the man's chest had stopped rising, they looked back to the shovel girl. She was still humming the tune when one said, "Mary, it's done! He's dead."

The child who had said it was the man's own daughter - her name was Isabel, and she had twin braids going down her back. She was splattered in her father's blood, having finished the deed herself. She held the cleaver to her body, blood on her white apron staining the fabric.

Isabel smiled when Mary approached, the older girl swinging the shovel over her shoulder as she looked at the remains of the man.

Gregory had been a key player in human trafficking schemes around the area, responsible for many disappearances of children and young adults. No one knew where what happened to the children, but now they were sure to find out.

His face was unrecognizable - his nose pushed back into his skull with the force of a boot kicking him down. His chest was still bleeding, a bullet hole straight through his sternum. Various stab wounds bled through his shirt and pants, staining the ground red and wafting a terrible smell of death into the air.

"Now we put him away like all the rest," Mary said, children moving as she murmured so. They picked up the body with no trouble, seven year olds lifting the weight of a grown man with ease. A boy who had been the acting lookout signalled that the main road was clear, and off the carriers trotted.

The children who remained fetched cleaning supplies from caches around where they had done the deed. One removed a vial of a purple substance from a barrel and tossed it at the large blood stain - the red liquid was soon eaten by the mites inside the vial. Mary stepped back as they did their jobs, Isabel standing with her.

"You were very brave to tell us of your father's deceit." The ringleader crouched next to the girl, looking up at the blonde's face. Isabel smiled again.

"I would do anything for you, Mary. My own dad isn't as important to me as you are." She frowned. "Well, was. You're the only one I have now, and I will stay with you to the end."

"Thank you, Isabel," Mary smiled, standing to hug the girl. When the older girl pulled away, her clothes were also stained with blood. "I know you'll stay with me. We have to dispense judgment to the evil ones of this world, no matter who it is."

X

"Kids are murdering people now? What are we supposed to do about that?" Julio looked to Ravilo, lounging on the desk. His eyes were half-closed, a swirling yellow of intrigue beneath the lids. His head rested on his arms, the black fabric contrasting from his pale face, golden hair, and bright disposition. His body sagged with lack of sleep, his ears flat on his head instead of swiveling as they would normally be. His tail lay next to him, unmoving.

"Stop them, obviously." Ravilo sighed, standing from his seat in the middle of the room. His icy eyes were weary as well, scanning the tired body of his friend. "Get up, we need to go to Riore soon to stop them."

"Right now? Can't I sleep for a little bit first? We just got back from our excursion to the Plains.."

"Julio, our intel reported that their next hit is tonight. We need to get there before they kill someone else."

"Who's the informant? Another child?" He raised himself up on his forearms, his eyes opening slowly as he glanced at Ravilo.

"Yes, one close to their leader. He wouldn't give his name, but revealed that the one leading them is named Mary. She's the real threat. However, she's just a child like the rest of them. She should be easy to take out." Ravilo inspected the papers he'd received from higher up, all with the information on their next targets. "According to our informant, Mary takes control of the children when she wants someone gone."

Julio slid off the desk, landing on his feet with his catlike grace. "How does she control them?"

"Song. However, when she sings the children don't know what they're doing, their memories are erased. The only reason our informant was able to escape the group was because he was locked away when Mary started singing." He handed the sheets to Julio. "The song she sings possesses them and give them the strength of grown men, longtime veterans of war. They wield axes, knives, and any other weapons they can find. If someone stops them from going to Mary, they're killed."

"Gods above," he murmured, scanning the information. "Some of these kids are no older than five!"

"I know. That's why we need to stop them. These kids have killed their parents and siblings when they tried getting to Mary. If we don't stop them, the collateral damage will be immense." Ravilo let out a breath. "Take a shower and nap for a few hours. We'll use a teleportation crystal to get us there. We have to."

Julio nodded, handing the papers back to Ravilo. "I'll be done in few minutes, alright?" He left without waiting for an answer, heading to their shared room in the building next to the one they were already in. The black-haired warrior sighed as he took the papers and shut the door, locking it behind him as he followed the half-cat back to their room.

lookie another blurb from my google keep!!
maybe i'll continue this. i had plans to. ah well.
long live my boys julio and raviiiiiiii