Overcoming A Strange Fear

If there's one thing I remember of our 8th grade trip to Canobie Lake Park last May, it was the first time I ever rode on the swing ride. I remember that it took my friends twenty minutes to convince me to ride it (since, I'll admit; I hate the majority of amusement park rides... I can't seem to handle the motion of them, or I'll start feeling dizzy and nauseous. I know, I know: I'm a party pooper!), and, once properly strapped in, I can remember the feeling of nausea and panic settle in my stomach. I was regretting getting on.
For most of the day, we rode the one slow-motion ride (the flying gondolas) about three times and ate enough junk food to last us a lifetime. The main reason I go to amusement parks is not for the rides; it's solely for the food, being a self-proclaimed foodie and all. We had a bunch of fun chowing down and playing arcade games, winning prizes, and the like. Even though I didn't participate in many of the rides, I had a lot of fun watching my friends enjoy them. If they were having fun, I was, too! I loved seeing their exhilarated expressions and hearing their excited laughter. They had a lot of fun that day!
The ride started, and, at first, I was terrified. For some reason, fast-motion rides take the air from my lungs, so I feel like I'm suffocating. I relaxed, and I felt the tension ease. In no time, I was laughing with my friends and having a lot of fun, and I almost wished the ride wouldn't end. I felt a little disoriented coming off of the ride, but other than that, I had a really good time with my friends that day. May 31st, 2018, is a day I will not soon forget.

About the Author: Leah.W
"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less" -C.S Lewis