Jen L.'s picture

Going To Scotland

I can’t believe I won a dream vacation. I’m just sad that I can only bring one person with me. I chose my mom, but we found the money to bring the rest of the family along. I chose to got to Scotland, since I’m part scottish and the pictures I’ve seen of the place look really nice. We also get to ride on a plane, which I’ve never done before. I’m super excited but also kind of nervous. I’m going to this place I have never seen for myself, there will be different people, a different culture and the plane ride is going to be kind of scary, since I’m afraid of heights. It sounds like an adventure, which I guess, it is.

I feel a huge crowd of butterflies in my stomach when I pick up my suitcase and start heading out the door. I feel bad for leaving the pets too, but my Aunt’s going to look after them, so they should be okay. It feels normal leaving the house, but not with a suitcase, and we’re all excited and bouncy. This day feels like a happy, peaceful, fun, special day. The sun is out and people are walking the streets, and we’re leaving for Scotland.

I’ve never been in a Airport before, it was a new sight for me, and my siblings. It was different and exciting and scary all at the same time. All we could do was follow my parents around and ask them a bunch of questions, which I think annoyed them a little, but I don’t think too much that they weren’t enjoying themselves.

I felt like I was going to vomit when we were waiting to get on the plane and when we were about to take off. I didn’t sit near a window seat because I feared that if I looked down, I would have a panic attack. So I made my sister sit there instead. The flight wasn’t too bad when I got use to it.

Being in Scotland was so cool. There were so many things that I wanted to try and see that I nearly exploded. Of course we tried to do everything we wanted in the limited time we had there, and we got souvenirs. I was sad when we had to go back to the U.S. but I was also happy to see my home again. This was my first time out of the United States and I was loving it, a lot. It’s kind of different and it’s also cool hearing Gaelic and Scots now and again, we mainly heard English. Maybe that’s because we talked to everybody in English. I wouldn’t really know, I haven’t lived in Scotland. After this trip though, I kind of wanted to.

I was more excited than scared when we went back on the plane. I don’t know why I was so nervous about everything, I’m almost always nervous about things till they happen. It’s so weird seeing the differences and the similarities of different places, and we were all pointing them out on the car ride. It was mainly a peaceful car ride, which was good, because all of us were exhausted.

We all collapsed onto a piece of furniture in the living room and talked about our trip. It was the most fun and weird adventure I’ve ever had.