Writing Challenges: Inspiration and ideas to spark your creativity every day

What is the best tip about writing that you have ever heard? Add your response to some gems we found from past YWPers. And here's one from "The Elements of Style:" Be clear, brief and bold.
Back story: In 1919, E.B. White was a student at Cornell University where he took an English class that had a huge influence on him. The class was with William Strunk, Jr., and required reading for the course was the professor's self-published book, "The Elements of Style." It was a small book, reflecting Strunk's emphasis on brevity, and across the campus, it was known simply as "the little book," White writes. And it was powerful -- in its essence, it advised writers to be clear, brief and bold. E.B. White went on to become a writer for The New Yorker and author of children's classics, Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and The Trumpet of the Swan. Thirty-eight years after his class with Strunk, White was commissioned to revise "the little book" for publication. With White's revisions, the book became known as Strunk and White's Elements of Style, and it remains a standard resource for writers today. Here's a sample: "A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that every word tell."