The COMMUNITY JOURNALISM PROJECT (CJP) offers writing and photo challenges (including multiple challenges on documenting the COVID-19 pandemic), journalism skills-building, workshops, and publication throughout the 2019-20 school year. It is for students and teachers, inside and outside of the classroom. Find out more in this SPECIAL ISSUE OF THE VOICE! And a big THANK YOU to our donors!
IT'S EASY TO GET INVOLVED:
- Sign into your YWP account, or join youngwritersproject.org. Teachers can create an account and submit on behalf of students (or even better -- students create their own accounts. Parental permisson for those under 13.)
- Try the JOURNALISM CHALLENGES. This list is growing as the school year progresses, and each week, a community journalism challenge will be featured on the front page of the site. The prompts are ordered by the month they appear on the front page, but there are no fixed deadlines. You can write to any of the prompts any time through the school year and YWP editors will find them and select the best for publication.
- ALSO we're DOCUMENTING THE PANDEMIC in words, photos, and art. Join the project!
- Get published! YWP sends your writing, photos, and art to our media partners for publication: weekly in the Burlington Free Press, VtDigger.org, and Valley News; monthly in the Addison Independent, Bradford Journal-Opinion, Brattleboro Reformer, Charlotte News, Essex Reporter, Milton Independent, Rutland Herald, St. Albans Messenger, Times Argus and Williston Observer. We highlight your work on the front page of our site, and publish it in our monthly digital magazine, The Voice, and in our annual anthology.
- Watch the site for our free events and workshops (Voices for Change and Writing on the Roof).
The Community Journalism Project is a free program, thanks to the generosity of our supporters: the Gannett Foundation/USA Today Network, Lisa Schamberg and Patrick Robins, the Windham Foundation, and the National Life Group Foundation. We also wish to thank the following donors for their ongoing support of YWP, including The Bay and Paul Foundations, Physician's Computer Co., Vermont Business Roundtable, and the Amy E. Tarrant Foundation. THANK YOU!
More info here! Or contact Susan Reid, YWP Executive Director, [email protected]; (802) 324-9538.