YWP Arts Critics at the Flynn!

Young Writers Project writers meet at the Flynn Center for the Performing Arts tonight Wednesday, Oct. 30 with arts critic and State Representative John Killacky to watch and review the award-winning performance of DESCENT by Kinetic Light! The Flynn has given YWP six free tickets for this event!
Details:
5:30 pm
  • Meet at The Flynn Center for the Performing Arts, 153 Main Street, Burlington
  • State Rep. John Killacky, a writer, arts critic and former executive director of the Flynn Center, will lead a workshop on arts criticism: what's involved in reviewing and writing on the arts.
6:45 pm
  • Pizza and pre-show prep
7:30 pm
  • Showtime! Enjoy the show (and remember to take notes).
Some homework: From your notes and observations, write a 500-word (max) review of the show. Submit it on your YWP blog (Challenge: CJP-Arts Critic) by Monday Nov. 4 for potential publication in The Voice, and in Flynn publications. Questions? Contact Susan Reid, [email protected]

About DESCENTDance Magazine’s “Most Moving Performance of 2018,” DESCENT features two dancers in wheelchairs navigating the surface of a six-foot tall ramp sprawling the stage in dramatic peaks and curves. Kinetic Light—working in the disciplines of art, design, architecture, and social justice—presents the story of Venus and Andromeda, reimagined as interracial lovers and brought together by the sculptor Rodin. A work transcending the senses, DESCENT celebrates the pleasure of reckless abandon, obliterating assumptions of beauty and ability.

About John Killacky: John Killacky, who represents the South Burlington District of Chittenden-7-3, moved to Vermont in 2010 to run the Flynn Center for the Performing Arts after a multi-faceted career as a nonprofit arts administrator in New York, Philadelphia, Minneapolis and San Francisco. As executive director of the Flynn until his retirement in 2018, access and inclusion initiatives were central to his work. Recognitions include Vermont Autism Task Force Appreciation Award, Vermont Arts Council Kannenstine Award for Arts Advocacy, and ‘John Killacky Day Proclamation’ from Burlington Mayor Miro Weinberger. His commentaries have aired on VPR and have been published in VTDigger and the Burlington Free Press. His films and videos have screened internationally and across Vermont.
Event Date: 
Wednesday, October 30, 2019