A Long Step

If I am going to be honest, I do not like the person I am. I really never have and I don't know if I ever will. But, I like myself a lot more than I used to. And why is that? Well, I've been caring a lot more about myself. I would say that the steps began early this year. January 1st I woke up and decided to become a vegetarian. I'm a devoted ecologist and I felt bad that I was sacrificing a life just so I could eat lunch. Granted, I might sound like a hypocrite because I eat eggs. Well, I am working on so I just eat plant-based things. 

After going vegetarian I actually began to feel better. Although, I noticed I felt a lot weaker which I beat myself up about. But that's not unusual for me to do. I love being my own punching bag sometimes. And I criticize myself all of the time. Some would call it unhealthy but it's helped me get to where I am today. It's been to the point where I seem really friendly. When in reality I was just putting others' needs in front of mine. 

But back to feeling weak. A few months after realizing that I had lost a bit of muscle mass I began a membership at the local gym. Which was a great choice as it is a really nice gym with really nice equipment and after a good workout I just felt really nice. So I was going to the gym quite frequently. 

Then a few months later I got a job at VYCC. That was a huge step out of my comfort zone. It was a great month filled with lots of hard work and it made me reflect on who I was. And not to mention it had lots of great camp food and many stories to come with it.

I then came home and had a very good summer, and then began my job at a local store which kept me nice and busy. School then came around and I told myself that I wouldn't lollygag this year. I wasn't expecting to get all A’s and B’s because granted I'm far from the sharpest tool in the shed. But I knew that if I gave all that I could, then that's what would matter.

Now, why would you care about the steps I've taken in order to improve my mental health. Well, why would you? This is just my story. I am just telling my story on a little website. But I just want you to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Otherwise, it would be a vertical hole. But if you even read to this far then there is always good times and bad times. Just make sure to work hard because the good times will be coming soon.
About the Author: Sammypants