Peter Gustafson's picture

wweek 27 Starry

Angelina Nguyen, Age 11

Albert. D. Lawton Intermediate School

Young Writers Project, Week #27: Starry

September 15, 2019

When I turn around I already see my friend Via lying down on the blanket we had set down. 

“Come on Rose! Get over here, you might miss it!” There was supposed to be a harvest moon tonight, which hasn't happened in thirteen years so we decided to stay up and witness it outside. 

“Yeah, I know. I’m coming,” I started to lie down when I remember something. “Wait, hold on Via. I need to grab something,” I don’t wait for a reply as I dart inside. When I turn on the lights, I scan the room for what I’m looking for:  my hand held telescopes. Ok you might think I’m strange for having telescopes, but don’t judge; they were a gift alright. Anyways, I found them by my bookshelf behind my desk. I grabbed the telescopes and bolted out of the house, just in case I missed anything. Thankfully I didn’t.

“There you are,” Via said in an annoyed tone, “What did you need?”

“My telescopes. Here, look at the stars or something,” and so we observed the starry night sky in silence until I noticed something. I didn’t think much of it at first glance, I mean it’s just a star, but then it started blinking. But not just randomly blinking, it was like a pattern. It felt familiar somehow and then I realized, it was morse code. I tried to remember the letter chart my dad always gave me to communicate secretly.   . . . (S), . - (A), - . - - (Y), - - . (G), - - - (O), - - - (O), - . . (D), - . . . (B), - . - - (Y), . (E), . . - . (F), - - - (O), . - . (R), - . - - (Y), - - - (O), . . - (U), . - - (W), . . (I), . - . . (L), . - . . (L), -.. (D), .. (I), . (E). I was horrified. I mean as cliche as it sounds, “Say goodbye for you will die”? What does this mean? Who wants to kill us? Why do they want to kill us? I had so many unanswered questions so I told Via the whole story.

“WAIT WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!?!?” She nearly screams when I’m done, “WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?!?!?” 

“I don’t know Via, I wish I could tell you.” Because I didn’t know for sure either. I mean this has never happened before, at least I don’t think so.

“Well what are we going to do?” She asked worriedly.

“Again, I don’t know. I mean we could call the authorities.”

“What? That we think there are aliens?” she cuts me off, “I mean unless someone else also noticed that particular star was blinking in morse code, -which that in itself sound weird, but I believe you- , which even if they do; what are they gonna do about it, shoot the star? Ask it to not kill us?” While she does have a point, I still want to do something. 

“I still want to try,” and then I stand up and dial ‘911’. Within two rings later I hear,

“911, what’s your emergency?” 

“Hi, I’d like to report paranormal activity,”

“Alright ma’am. Go ahead,” She sounded quite doubtful, but I can’t blame her. And so I told her the gist of the story 

“So basically I noticed a star blinking in morse code.” I stopped hoping she would believe me.

“Do you know what it said?” she replied.

“Yes. The message was ‘Say goodbye, for you will die’.” The lady stopped.

“So you guys aren't crazy,”

“W-What?” What did she mean by ‘So you guys aren't crazy’?

“You’re not the first person to report this, meaning it’s not fake. The first person who called us about it sounded drunk so I just wrote it off as him being weird. I will tell this to the police immediately and they will contact the government for further help, please stay inside just in case and have a good night.” And just like that, she hung up on me. I started to walk back to Via to tell her what happened, that I’m right, we’re in danger; but I don’t think she needed to hear that from me to know that because when I came over, she was gone. Disappeared. All that was left was the blanket that she had laid on, now burnt with a message. It read, “I hope she said bye, because they’re with us now. Even if she is dead”  

And that was the tale of the starry night, on Friday the 13th, 2K19.

Peter Gustafson's picture
About the Author: Peter Gustafson
Peter Gustafson