About the Book Club

What are your favorite books? Recommend and discuss them here! 

[Logo credit: jbird18, YWP]

List your top 5, 10, 15 book choices.
What is your all-time favorite book?
Favorite character?
Which book do you want to live in?
What's the most memorable book from your childhood?
Comment on other writers' favorites.
Write a book review.
Have fun!

Has anyone ever read A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas? It is SO good. I literally couldn’t put the book down.
Yep! To be honest I didn’t finish the series because it reminded me too much of TOG but that first book is awesome!
6 hours ago
TOG is my second favorite series :)
4 hours ago
My favorite books would be the Harry Potters, the Heroes of Olympus and Percy Jackson, Red Queen and THG. I also like books on writing books.
Love HP, PJ, and HoO! Have you read Spilling Ink? It’s a great book on writing.
1 day ago
OMG, I LOVE HARRY POTTER AND PERCY JACKSON!
23 hours ago
Harry Potter is incredible. I think it will probably still be one of my favorite series when I am sixty.
21 hours ago
Has anyone read Lord of the Flies? I have to read it for school and am trying to figure out if I should be excited :)
I read it for school last year as my end of year essay thing. It was pretty good. it’s much better if you are thinking about the metaphors while you read it. If you like the call of the wild or animal farm you’ll like it.
2 days ago
I hated it. But a lot of my friends loved it, so...
21 hours ago
Just finished reading The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood. It is so very interesting. Picture chilling dystopian world run by a theocratic government and as much freedom as a brick. But also following concepts that are not so far fetched from reality and a well told story. It was a great, eye opening read!
A lot of my friends have read The Handmaids Tale and have recommended it to me. Off to Amazon then.
4 hours ago
I just finished a book called the White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga. I picked it up on a whim from one of those little free libraries. I have never read anything like it. I was written in first person and it actually felt like the narrator was telling his own story. Every little detail was intimately woven from the narrator experience and perceptive. Just a warning, it is very dark.
Huh, I’m pretty sure I have to read that book for school this year. Glad to know you liked it!
09/10/2020 - 7:26am
It was a very easy read too, which I wasn't expecting. I read it in a single night and I am not normally a fast reader.
09/10/2020 - 11:36am
Annabeth or Hermione?
Show all 9 comments
Hermione!
09/04/2020 - 10:49am
Hermione!!
09/04/2020 - 12:12pm
Hermione!!!
(Heh heh, had to keep the exclamation points going. I do love Hermione, though. Annabeth is great too, but she’s more one-dimensional.
09/04/2020 - 1:59pm
Hermione!!!! ;)
09/04/2020 - 2:14pm
Hermione!!!!!
09/05/2020 - 5:12pm
...Annabeth!!!!!! I grew up with Annabeth though, I read the harry potter series a lot later. hard questionnn
09/06/2020 - 10:43am
Hermione (I've only read the first Percy Jackson book)
09/06/2020 - 8:50pm
I can’t choose...

But since I have to...

Annabeth
1 day ago
Annabeth!!!!!!!! I didn’t bother counting the question marks XD I read harry potter a little while after reading percy jackson, so i didnt have that close of a relationship.
23 hours ago
I just saw that the book(s) of the month is the Mr. Lemoncello's Library series which I have read and enjoyed. So let's get this discussion rolling, who has read them and what do you like about them?
Show all 4 comments
Yes, let's talk about them!! Ive read them so many times and I've always really liked the puzzles and trying to solve them in my head! The author was really good at coming up with new ideas for games and it made me wish I had a library like that XD! Who is everyone's favorite character?
09/04/2020 - 10:01am
Yep love them!! I love all of the cool inventions in the books, that’s mostly what kept me going through the series... but I heard they’re coming out with ANOTHER one, not sure if this is true or not but it kind of seems like they’ve exhausted all of the plot lines.. thoughts?I think my favorite character is Dr. Zinchenko.
09/04/2020 - 2:01pm
I LOVED Mr. Lemoncello’s Library! Definitely agree that they should have stopped at three or four books, though. It can be kind of overkill. Hmm... I guess my favorite character is Akimi.
09/04/2020 - 2:24pm
Loved the series and agree with everyone on most accounts(especially LadyMidnight). Uh I guess my favorite character is probably Akimi. It’s been a while since I read them.
09/05/2020 - 5:15pm
Just finished the Artemis Fowl series for the second time. Totally recommend it!! Such a great book, anyone read it?
*raises hand* i admit i don't remember much though bc it was like 6 years ago but i remember really loving it. i heard they made movies too?
09/02/2020 - 11:11pm
Yeah, the first one came out this summer. It was a good movie on its own but could be confusing if you hadn’t read the book. also, (trying not to spoil!) it didn’t really follow the story line. One of those ones you have to watch a few times to really get all the details!
09/03/2020 - 8:58am
the movie sort of combined many of the books together. it was really good though, but if you don’t like cliff hangers, don’t watch it.
23 hours ago
Has anyone read the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? I just finished it for school and it was *much* better than I expected- and it was funny- which I did not anticipate.
I loved the movie. but I haven't read the book. To be honest, I didn't even know there was a book till now. I'll have to look it up!
09/02/2020 - 6:11pm
If you do end up reading the book you should be warned that the movie is *drastically* different...
09/11/2020 - 7:55pm
Ahhh I just got three big bags of at least 15 books as prizes from my library's summer reading program and it feels like Christmas! :)
Luckyyyy. Congrats!
09/09/2020 - 5:34pm
I know people always say don't judge a book by it's cover, but that's exactly what I do. It always works for me, but then sometimes I miss out on really good books that have an uninteresting cover. Thoughts?
Show all 5 comments
I do the same thing!
09/01/2020 - 8:47pm
Well, i kinda do the same thing. It's mostly the spine font/color, but I mean despite the saying, there's a reason designing book covers is still a vocation! nothing wants to make me read a book more than an interesting or breathtaking cover (but of course, the summary has to check out too :)
09/01/2020 - 10:56pm
Same its the cat sammeeeee
09/02/2020 - 12:54pm
I agree, when people say not to judge a book by it’s cover it doesn’t make sense! People naturally “judge” things when they first see them, so of course the cover of the book is going to influence your thoughts on it.
09/03/2020 - 7:28am
*laughs guiltily* i judge books by their covers waaaay too much. there was a time when i tried out a book series (with almost 20 something books) and just took two books that had nice covers. i ended up grabbing the first and last books in the series...
23 hours ago
Does anyone else have their go-to book for a long car ride? Like that one book you'd grab for any long distance trip because you honestly could read it a bunch of times and never get tired of the story? For me its either 'One For the Murphy's' or a Magnus Chase book :)
Show all 7 comments
I usually listen to audiobooks in the car, because reading makes me carsick. My go-to is a Harry Potter, but sometimes I like to listen to a new book too. I read One for The Murphy’s a while ago, it was good!
08/30/2020 - 10:36am
I also can't read in a car but I usually listen to The Darkest Minds or The Martian, If I could read in the car tho my go to would be Ask the Passengers. or podcasts.
08/30/2020 - 11:30am
I also normally listen to a podcast or music during long car rides, but my go-to book is The Hobbit :)
08/30/2020 - 4:22pm
I don't usually read in the car, my family and I usually listen to podcasts, but when I was younger and we listened to audio books more, I loved the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series--our library had a lot of these in CD form...has anyone heard of them? We also had a big collection of Roald Dahl audio books that we listened to in the car often.

I don't remember One for the Murphys well but I remember it was amazing!!
08/31/2020 - 10:42am
When I travel I usually end up stuffing my bag with books, then only reading the one I have read a hundred times before. My go to books are Harry Potter, Letter for the King, Book of Three... most classic children's fantasy stories:)
08/31/2020 - 12:41pm
I loved Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle when I was younger!
08/31/2020 - 1:00pm
Throne of Glass, Court of Thorns and Roses. All YA written by Sarah J. Maas. her books are pretty action packed and i get really immersed in her writing, so the car ride goes by really quickly.
23 hours ago
Has anyone ever read one of Diana Wynne Jones' books? I used to be OBSESSED with them - especially the Chrestomanci series. House of Many Ways is still one of my favorite fantasy novels, and I re-read it all the time! I've never actually met another person outside of my family who has read Jones, which is sad because her world building is that of Tolkien, in my opinion. Anyone ever heard of her? If not, then maybe you've seen Studio Ghibli's Howl's Moving Castle (based off of her book!)
I’ve never heard of her but am looking up her books and ordering them now!
08/30/2020 - 11:01am
I JUST FINISHED THE FAULT IN OUR STARS AND IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN I THOUGHT IT'D BE.

For some reason I thought it'd be terrible because I've heard so many people say it's overrated, which I suppose it kind of is, but for that reason it surprised me. Then I told my mom how surprised I was and she gave me that look, saying "of course it's good. that's why it's so popular" haha
Show all 4 comments
its soooo good it made me cry
08/26/2020 - 11:00pm
I just read Paper Towns (it was my first John Greene novel) and I also thought it was such a great read! Definitely a page turning author!
08/27/2020 - 12:05pm
Ah yes, this is such a good book. Also, read Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl. Also a cancer story, but really funny. I've read it over four times.
09/01/2020 - 7:44pm
Oh my gosh amaryllis yes yes yes I love it!
Probably one of my favorite books!
09/17/2020 - 7:16pm
Hey guys! Quick question: if you live in ANY fictional world, which would you choose? It could Earth, but with magic, or Earth but in the future, or even an entirely different universe/world/planet.
Show all 9 comments
That’s a very hard question. There are so many fictional lands I love to live in. If I had to choose though probably the elf world in The Keeper Of the Lost Cities Series( I cant remember the name of the city..) anyway it’s really beautiful there and everyone has powers!
08/24/2020 - 2:10pm
I immediately thought of middle earth, just because I have been enchanted by it ever since I was little. But honestly, unless you were an elf, it would be fairly uncomfortable. A similar problem arises with my other favorite fantasy worlds, like Temerant. So I think I would have to go with the future depicted in The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. Which by the way is an amazing book I highly recommend if you are into realistic, yet incredibly charming Si-Fi. Great Question!
08/24/2020 - 3:44pm
Yeah, same with Whitney, probably KOTLC just because their world sounds pretty awesome and they don't have too many major issues politically and whatnot.
08/25/2020 - 4:16pm
I would have to agree that being a different being would be very exciting! Probably a woodland elf with archery skills :)
08/27/2020 - 12:08pm
I haven't even heard of some of these places and now I must go in search of these amazing books with elf lands you speak of. I would either go to Narnia (after the white witch of course) or to camp half blood :)
08/27/2020 - 11:05pm
Honestly, I would love to live in either the world of Harry Potter (I mean... I'd *hopefully* get to attend Hogwarts for high school, which is probably the most beautiful school out there! It's a castle, how can you beat that?) or middle earth. Tolkien developed his world into such a realistic place that it's easy to imagine living in the shire, or with the elves.
08/29/2020 - 12:05pm
Oh! The Harry Potter world would be fun!
08/29/2020 - 8:43pm
Yeah, Harry Potter for sure. I’ve always wished to go to Hogwarts...
08/30/2020 - 10:36am
“i would rather be at hogwarts”. that saying is there for a reason :)
23 hours ago
I just finished the Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan, and I love it soooo much!!! Highly recommended. Is anyone else a fan? Would love to discuss with someone :)
Show all 4 comments
Haven't read it in forever, but I loved, loved, loved that series! Would also highly recommend :)
08/22/2020 - 9:08pm
YES! Loved it! So many plot twists and perspectives and plot lines and I could talk about it for hours XD so Glad you enjoyed reading it!
08/22/2020 - 10:00pm
Yes yes yes! Almost done with the series and it is amazing!
08/23/2020 - 4:41pm
YES. one of my favorite series. didn’t really like mark of athena because of the ending XD. definitely recommended though.
23 hours ago
For people who love a good mystery and/or love art and art history, I would recommend Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett. It's really well written and full of plot twists that will keep you hooked for hours. Legit read this book late into the night without looking up at my clock once!!! Lol
I will, definitely take you up on that! Nothing better than a good mystery :)
08/20/2020 - 12:32pm
Agreed!
08/20/2020 - 12:59pm
Hi! I just wanted to recommend a great book! It's called The Oak Behind the House and is a really quick read. It's by B. A. King, a photographer, who narrates his experience with a beloved Northern Red Oak in his backyard. It was beautiful to see his work, as well as the story behind his art and the years spent with the tree. It features 55 photographs of the tree and life surrounding it, compiled from over 30 years. It's certainly a unique book that I hope you get to enjoy as much as I did!
Has anyone read: Everything, Everything? It’s sooooo amazing!
OH YES I HAVE I HAVE. also thoroughly enjoyed it, and should probably reread sometime because the only thing i remember is being frustrated there was nobody to gush with.
08/22/2020 - 9:17pm
Yes!!! I love Nicola Yoon’s work!
09/17/2020 - 7:19pm
Has anyone read Sylvia Plath? She is my favorite poet! She has such a way with metaphors and twisting your thinking as a reader.
I have never read her, but she is one of my friend's favorite poets. Which works of her's would you suggest?
08/15/2020 - 12:28pm
She published a book of poetry called Ariel. I have her poetry compilation after she died (The Collected Poems of Sylvia Plath). One of the many poems in that book is Lady Lazarus. Lady Lazarus is one of her better known writings along with Daddy and Tulips. If you are looking for more of a novel sort of read, Sylvia published a book called The Bell Jar describing her depression related hospital stay. No matter which form of Sylvia’s writing you read, you will find her raw voice is nothing short of eye opening.
08/20/2020 - 12:40pm
i've definitely read her before, but i don't recall what poem. i'll definitely check out some of the ones you've recommended :)
08/22/2020 - 9:11pm