About the Book Club

What are your favorite books? Recommend and discuss them here! 

[Logo credit: jbird18, YWP]

List your top 5, 10, 15 book choices.
What is your all-time favorite book?
Favorite character?
Which book do you want to live in?
What's the most memorable book from your childhood?
Comment on other writers' favorites.
Write a book review.
Have fun!

To my fellow Hunger Games fans: Peeta or Gale?
(Peeta imho)
Show all 5 comments
Peeta. There was a point in the first few books when I was more in favor of Gale, but... no. Peeta.
10/01/2020 - 3:18pm
OH MY GOSH YOU SHARE MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY YAY!!!
10/01/2020 - 6:59pm
Tbh, I don’t really like either of them very much, but I guess I would have to say Peeta.
10/02/2020 - 10:21am
I don't know at first I was "go Gale!" but he was kinda a a** later on so probably Peeta. Its a hard question.
10/07/2020 - 12:13pm
I think that Peeta is the better of the two personally considering that Gale has been her best friend for so long, and kind of was a jerk throughout the later books. Peeta also gave Katniss bread, soooo...
10/19/2020 - 6:01pm
Okay, so I can't remember if we already discussed this but THAT CLIFFHANGER AT THE END OF LEGACY THO!!!!!!!! Actually all of Legacy, it was quite the rollercoaster. Btw, I'm talking about the Keeper of the Lost Cities series. But anyway, what are you guy's thoughts?
OMG THAT CLIFFHANGER. November cannot come soon enough for me (that’s when the next book comes out I’m pretty sure).
10/02/2020 - 10:22am
Unlocked comes out November 17th, 2020!!!
10/02/2020 - 11:43am
Crazy, cliffhangers kill me. I literally can't wait!!!
10/07/2020 - 12:13pm
Okay I hope I'm not alone in this but I have gotten so deep into Harry Potter TikTok that I just made a gryffindor themed pom-pom bunting for my room (any fellow gryffindors out there? lol) and I'm re-reading some of the books too! I started with the Half-Blood Prince and I'm realizing how much I forgot about the books bc they didn't include lots of stuff in the movies. Does anyone else get sort of upset about that? Also do you prefer the books or the movies more? (currently books for me!)
Show all 7 comments
Definitely the books! I am a Ravenclaw through and through:)
09/30/2020 - 10:09pm
I’m a Hufflepuff, but I sometimes consider myself a Gryffindor as well! Absolutely above all the books are better!!!!!
10/01/2020 - 9:41am
Heeyyy Hufflepuff gang! I will love any book over the movie but I do think harry potter as a movie was one of the better adaptations, along with maybe the Princess Bride or perhaps one of the Narnia movies :)
10/01/2020 - 10:53am
All books are better!! Except maybe lord of the rings.. I’m a Ravenclaw:)
10/01/2020 - 12:26pm
I'm a Hufflepuff...or a Ravenclaw...I'm not sure...But books are better! But I agree with Treblemaker, the movies are pretty good (haven't watched all of them yet though...) and YES, Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies; it's really well done and represents the book well!
10/01/2020 - 3:24pm
Ravenclaw :) books are definitely usually better. out of all the books-turned-movies, harry potter isn’t the worst. i personally think the percy jackson movies are ridiculous.
10/03/2020 - 6:36pm
Oh wow, I never even saw the PJ movies because people at my school told me they were so terrible. Then I watched a trailer for the first one... I was about banging my head on the floor. ANNABETH, whyyyyyyy!
10/14/2020 - 7:01am
Guys.... can we please talk about Little Women. Now.
Lol I just saw it’s the book for this month... so who’s your favorite sister (movie versions included if it contributed to your thoughts on the character)? I know everyone loves Jo and I do too, but I think Amy is my favorite, especially in the newest movie! She’s also the youngest (me) and she’s kind of a brat! (Me sometimes!) XD. Thoughts?
Show all 4 comments
Jo is definitely my favorite! I haven't seen the new movie yet, but I've seen some clips and Amy seems to be shown in a different light than in the book (lol... I just find her to be such an annoying character in the book) so I definitely need to watch and see if the movie changes my opinions about any of the sisters. I also have a bit of a soft spot for Beth, because she's just so sweet to everyone
09/30/2020 - 8:51pm
Its honestly so hard for me to choose. I can relate to Meg so much as the eldest sister and I think shes over all really sweet and I stan her and her husband XD And then Jo is like who I would be if I was born in their time. Beth is so so so sweet and just such a great character. And Amy can be kinda annoying but I really like her character too. I have yet to see the movies though so that might change some of my opinions.
09/30/2020 - 10:21pm
This might sound kind of a annoying, but I really don’t like Beth at all. The “sweet” characters in any book always seem to annoy me.
10/01/2020 - 9:40am
Omg I saw that Little Women was the book of the month and started fangirling! XD Jo is definitely my favorite sister in the book, but I love Love LOVE Amy in the new movie!
10/02/2020 - 10:25am
Those times when you have to read a book with the class... and they turn this audio on or the teacher reads it. Ever felt that by the time they get to the first chapter you’re already on the fifth?
I hate reading out loud with my class. I just want to jump ahead but I cant and its so aggarvating
09/29/2020 - 1:09pm
Has anyone ever read A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas? It is SO good. I literally couldn’t put the book down.
Show all 7 comments
Yep! To be honest I didn’t finish the series because it reminded me too much of TOG but that first book is awesome!
09/22/2020 - 11:05am
TOG is my second favorite series :)
09/22/2020 - 1:25pm
*gasp* I will fight you on that one. TOG is arguably better than ACOTAR. Granted, I prefer Celaena over Aelin, but Feyre's sisters... yeah. But could also be because I read TOG first and knew what was coming with Tamlin as a result. Have you ever read the Cruel Prince?
09/22/2020 - 9:23pm
What is TOG!?
09/22/2020 - 10:00pm
Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas. One of the best books that ever existed.
09/23/2020 - 12:51am
Well, I agree that Celaena is better than Aelin. And I’ll have to admit that the first book of ACOTAR is kind of boring and predictable. But wait until you get to the second book. There’s a nice little plot twist (trying very hard not to spoil) and it just gets better from there. No, I have never read the Cruel Prince. Guess I’m off to Amazon again. Thanks for the recommendation! I’m always on the lookout for new books to read :)
09/23/2020 - 12:56am
tbh... i stopped after the second book I think. i was still rooting too hard for Tamlin. i mean, i did like rhysand... but idk. anyway, so glad you're looking into The Cruel Prince. It's a trilogy by Holly Black, and also deals with fae, but the tension in the book with all the REALLY messed up relationships was kind of my thing. oh, + romance and the strong fem mc. ok now im getting way too excited, but hmu any time to fangirl (or complain, i'll take what i can get) about it if you do decide to read :)
09/23/2020 - 2:16pm
My favorite books would be the Harry Potters, the Heroes of Olympus and Percy Jackson, Red Queen and THG. I also like books on writing books.
Love HP, PJ, and HoO! Have you read Spilling Ink? It’s a great book on writing.
09/21/2020 - 11:40am
OMG, I LOVE HARRY POTTER AND PERCY JACKSON!
09/21/2020 - 6:01pm
Harry Potter is incredible. I think it will probably still be one of my favorite series when I am sixty.
09/21/2020 - 8:20pm
Has anyone read Lord of the Flies? I have to read it for school and am trying to figure out if I should be excited :)
I read it for school last year as my end of year essay thing. It was pretty good. it’s much better if you are thinking about the metaphors while you read it. If you like the call of the wild or animal farm you’ll like it.
09/20/2020 - 4:35pm
I hated it. But a lot of my friends loved it, so...
09/21/2020 - 8:19pm
wasn't my favorite, mostly because the class associated with the read was boring. I agree with laurenm its along the lines of animal farm, and honestly it brings up some really interesting concepts and ironies around society, but i feel it picked up towards the end but the middle was ehh and had to much symbolism I didn't get.
I will say, to me, its like a right of passage in school english to have finished that book tho :)
09/23/2020 - 12:31am
Just finished reading The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood. It is so very interesting. Picture chilling dystopian world run by a theocratic government and as much freedom as a brick. But also following concepts that are not so far fetched from reality and a well told story. It was a great, eye opening read!
A lot of my friends have read The Handmaids Tale and have recommended it to me. Off to Amazon then.
09/22/2020 - 1:26pm
I just finished a book called the White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga. I picked it up on a whim from one of those little free libraries. I have never read anything like it. I was written in first person and it actually felt like the narrator was telling his own story. Every little detail was intimately woven from the narrator experience and perceptive. Just a warning, it is very dark.
Huh, I’m pretty sure I have to read that book for school this year. Glad to know you liked it!
09/10/2020 - 7:26am
It was a very easy read too, which I wasn't expecting. I read it in a single night and I am not normally a fast reader.
09/10/2020 - 11:36am
Annabeth or Hermione?
Show all 9 comments
Hermione!
09/04/2020 - 10:49am
Hermione!!
09/04/2020 - 12:12pm
Hermione!!!
(Heh heh, had to keep the exclamation points going. I do love Hermione, though. Annabeth is great too, but she’s more one-dimensional.
09/04/2020 - 1:59pm
Hermione!!!! ;)
09/04/2020 - 2:14pm
Hermione!!!!!
09/05/2020 - 5:12pm
...Annabeth!!!!!! I grew up with Annabeth though, I read the harry potter series a lot later. hard questionnn
09/06/2020 - 10:43am
Hermione (I've only read the first Percy Jackson book)
09/06/2020 - 8:50pm
I can’t choose...

But since I have to...

Annabeth
09/21/2020 - 9:14am
Annabeth!!!!!!!! I didn’t bother counting the question marks XD I read harry potter a little while after reading percy jackson, so i didnt have that close of a relationship.
09/21/2020 - 6:04pm
I just saw that the book(s) of the month is the Mr. Lemoncello's Library series which I have read and enjoyed. So let's get this discussion rolling, who has read them and what do you like about them?
Show all 4 comments
Yes, let's talk about them!! Ive read them so many times and I've always really liked the puzzles and trying to solve them in my head! The author was really good at coming up with new ideas for games and it made me wish I had a library like that XD! Who is everyone's favorite character?
09/04/2020 - 10:01am
Yep love them!! I love all of the cool inventions in the books, that’s mostly what kept me going through the series... but I heard they’re coming out with ANOTHER one, not sure if this is true or not but it kind of seems like they’ve exhausted all of the plot lines.. thoughts?I think my favorite character is Dr. Zinchenko.
09/04/2020 - 2:01pm
I LOVED Mr. Lemoncello’s Library! Definitely agree that they should have stopped at three or four books, though. It can be kind of overkill. Hmm... I guess my favorite character is Akimi.
09/04/2020 - 2:24pm
Loved the series and agree with everyone on most accounts(especially LadyMidnight). Uh I guess my favorite character is probably Akimi. It’s been a while since I read them.
09/05/2020 - 5:15pm
Just finished the Artemis Fowl series for the second time. Totally recommend it!! Such a great book, anyone read it?
*raises hand* i admit i don't remember much though bc it was like 6 years ago but i remember really loving it. i heard they made movies too?
09/02/2020 - 11:11pm
Yeah, the first one came out this summer. It was a good movie on its own but could be confusing if you hadn’t read the book. also, (trying not to spoil!) it didn’t really follow the story line. One of those ones you have to watch a few times to really get all the details!
09/03/2020 - 8:58am
the movie sort of combined many of the books together. it was really good though, but if you don’t like cliff hangers, don’t watch it.
09/21/2020 - 6:05pm
Has anyone read the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? I just finished it for school and it was *much* better than I expected- and it was funny- which I did not anticipate.
I loved the movie. but I haven't read the book. To be honest, I didn't even know there was a book till now. I'll have to look it up!
09/02/2020 - 6:11pm
If you do end up reading the book you should be warned that the movie is *drastically* different...
09/11/2020 - 7:55pm
Ahhh I just got three big bags of at least 15 books as prizes from my library's summer reading program and it feels like Christmas! :)
Luckyyyy. Congrats!
09/09/2020 - 5:34pm
I know people always say don't judge a book by it's cover, but that's exactly what I do. It always works for me, but then sometimes I miss out on really good books that have an uninteresting cover. Thoughts?
Show all 5 comments
I do the same thing!
09/01/2020 - 8:47pm
Well, i kinda do the same thing. It's mostly the spine font/color, but I mean despite the saying, there's a reason designing book covers is still a vocation! nothing wants to make me read a book more than an interesting or breathtaking cover (but of course, the summary has to check out too :)
09/01/2020 - 10:56pm
Same its the cat sammeeeee
09/02/2020 - 12:54pm
I agree, when people say not to judge a book by it’s cover it doesn’t make sense! People naturally “judge” things when they first see them, so of course the cover of the book is going to influence your thoughts on it.
09/03/2020 - 7:28am
*laughs guiltily* i judge books by their covers waaaay too much. there was a time when i tried out a book series (with almost 20 something books) and just took two books that had nice covers. i ended up grabbing the first and last books in the series...
09/21/2020 - 6:06pm
Does anyone else have their go-to book for a long car ride? Like that one book you'd grab for any long distance trip because you honestly could read it a bunch of times and never get tired of the story? For me its either 'One For the Murphy's' or a Magnus Chase book :)
Show all 7 comments
I usually listen to audiobooks in the car, because reading makes me carsick. My go-to is a Harry Potter, but sometimes I like to listen to a new book too. I read One for The Murphy’s a while ago, it was good!
08/30/2020 - 10:36am
I also can't read in a car but I usually listen to The Darkest Minds or The Martian, If I could read in the car tho my go to would be Ask the Passengers. or podcasts.
08/30/2020 - 11:30am
I also normally listen to a podcast or music during long car rides, but my go-to book is The Hobbit :)
08/30/2020 - 4:22pm
I don't usually read in the car, my family and I usually listen to podcasts, but when I was younger and we listened to audio books more, I loved the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series--our library had a lot of these in CD form...has anyone heard of them? We also had a big collection of Roald Dahl audio books that we listened to in the car often.

I don't remember One for the Murphys well but I remember it was amazing!!
08/31/2020 - 10:42am
When I travel I usually end up stuffing my bag with books, then only reading the one I have read a hundred times before. My go to books are Harry Potter, Letter for the King, Book of Three... most classic children's fantasy stories:)
08/31/2020 - 12:41pm
I loved Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle when I was younger!
08/31/2020 - 1:00pm
Throne of Glass, Court of Thorns and Roses. All YA written by Sarah J. Maas. her books are pretty action packed and i get really immersed in her writing, so the car ride goes by really quickly.
09/21/2020 - 6:08pm
Has anyone ever read one of Diana Wynne Jones' books? I used to be OBSESSED with them - especially the Chrestomanci series. House of Many Ways is still one of my favorite fantasy novels, and I re-read it all the time! I've never actually met another person outside of my family who has read Jones, which is sad because her world building is that of Tolkien, in my opinion. Anyone ever heard of her? If not, then maybe you've seen Studio Ghibli's Howl's Moving Castle (based off of her book!)
I’ve never heard of her but am looking up her books and ordering them now!
08/30/2020 - 11:01am
I JUST FINISHED THE FAULT IN OUR STARS AND IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN I THOUGHT IT'D BE.

For some reason I thought it'd be terrible because I've heard so many people say it's overrated, which I suppose it kind of is, but for that reason it surprised me. Then I told my mom how surprised I was and she gave me that look, saying "of course it's good. that's why it's so popular" haha
Show all 4 comments
its soooo good it made me cry
08/26/2020 - 11:00pm
I just read Paper Towns (it was my first John Greene novel) and I also thought it was such a great read! Definitely a page turning author!
08/27/2020 - 12:05pm
Ah yes, this is such a good book. Also, read Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl. Also a cancer story, but really funny. I've read it over four times.
09/01/2020 - 7:44pm
Oh my gosh amaryllis yes yes yes I love it!
Probably one of my favorite books!
09/17/2020 - 7:16pm
Hey guys! Quick question: if you live in ANY fictional world, which would you choose? It could Earth, but with magic, or Earth but in the future, or even an entirely different universe/world/planet.
Show all 10 comments
“i would rather be at hogwarts”. that saying is there for a reason :)
09/21/2020 - 6:09pm
Hmmmmmmm. Probably either the world from Harry Potter or the world from Percy Jackson. They're both just AWESOME concepts .
10/01/2020 - 3:15pm