About the Book Club

What are your favorite books? Recommend and discuss them here! 

[Logo credit: jbird18, YWP]

List your top 5, 10, 15 book choices.
What is your all-time favorite book?
Favorite character?
Which book do you want to live in?
What's the most memorable book from your childhood?
Comment on other writers' favorites.
Write a book review.
Have fun!

I am drifting in to an alternate universe.
A universe of dreams.
Where nothing you do matters.
Where you could die a million times, yet still wake up in the morning.
Just reread The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang. It’s a really good graphic novel, and the drawings are gorgeous. I would definitely recommend it.
ooh I love that book!!! Beautifully told.
03/26/2020 - 9:46am
My favorite books are,
1. The Hunger Games
2. Prisoner B-3087
3.SkyJacked
4. Going Wild
5. Wildfire
6. Reffugee

These are my most favorite books in the world.....

-so far!
Ha ha!
04/02/2020 - 1:25pm
HELLO YWP BOOKCLUB!!!!
Guess what? Because we are all stuck inside with nothing to do, I picked another book to add to our book of the month! It's a classic, MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS BY AGATHA CHRISTIE. This is such a great who done it book and very fun to read while quarantined!

I hope that you all are enjoying these books. If you haven't read any yet, there's no time like the present! I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on any of these books we have read so far.
OMG, loved this book! I remember I stole it from my science teacher's bookshelf last year and I reread it so many times (don't worry, returned it on the last day of the school year). Great pick! Any recommendations for similar books?
04/01/2020 - 1:47am
Have any of u read SHADOW DANCER? Sooo good.
04/01/2020 - 2:30pm
Here's a great list of "comfort books" from a group of authors, via the New York Times:
Celeste Ng loves ‘The Princess Bride,’ by William Goldman
Elizabeth Gilbert: ‘The Summer Book,’ by Tove Jansson
Kiley Reid: ‘Bird by Bird,’ by Anne Lamott
Lily King: ‘I Capture the Castle,’ by Dodie Smith
.. And there are many more: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/books/comfort-books-celeste-ng-ann-pa...
One favorite was Snow Treasure about skiing with gold bullion past the Nazis occupying Norway. Oh, if only we were the
skiers, the bullion were a vaccine and the Nazis Covid-19!
Oh my goodness, my brother is literally reading that book for school right now! Well not right now because it's night time but you understand that.
03/18/2020 - 10:30pm
I need book suggestions because I find myself with more free time than I am accustomed to. What would you recommend for a freshman who's favorite books are Harry Potter, Lunar Chronicles, Hunger Games, and Lord of the Rings?
Show all 6 comments
Divergent could be good... Keeper of The Lost Cities is also one of my favorites but it’s a little younger.
03/17/2020 - 7:53pm
Yes Divergent! It’s a trilogy, and they’re all pretty long, so definitely good for extra free time. Keeper of the Lost Cities warning: the first few books are all written for what feels like a bit of a younger person, so you have to be patient and stick it out till like the third or fourth book. The later ones are really good though.
03/18/2020 - 8:12am
I have read the Keeper of the Lost Cities books, they're pretty good. I haven't read the Divergent books but multiple people have recommended them to me.
03/18/2020 - 4:16pm
Yes, Divergent is awesome! I would also suggest School of Good and Evil, but it might be a little younger. You could also just read Harry Potter again. That's what I'm doing. xD Also, Children of Blood and Bone is really good.
03/19/2020 - 12:59pm
If you want something a bit more apocalyptic and dire, the Maze Runner, there like 3 books and it does keep one entertained.
But first check out the Magnus Chase series. if you want a witty adventurous plot with lovable characters :)
03/19/2020 - 3:10pm
School of Good and Evil is really good!!!!
03/25/2020 - 8:49am
Okay, so I just finished three amazing books:
Shadow and Bones by Leigh Bardugo,
Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake,
and Isle of Blood and Stone by Makiia Lucier.

Anybody read any of them?
Yes! I've read Three Dark Crowns. I only read the 1st book in the series, but I really liked the world - thought it was very creative.
03/24/2020 - 10:39am
Yo, at least with this whole school shutdown thing we'll have more time to read! Always look on the bright side of life *whistle whistle whistle whistle*
*sings* when life seems jolly rotten- there somthing you've forgotten- and thats to laugh and smile and dance and siiinng
03/17/2020 - 12:53pm
when you're feeling in the dumps don't be silly chumps! Just purse your lips and whistle that's the thing! and...
03/17/2020 - 7:17pm
AlwaYs look Onnn the briiiHgt side of liFe *whistles*!
03/19/2020 - 3:12pm
In light of the COVID-19, I would recommend a book series with the first book being "No Safety in Numbers" by Dayna Lorentz who actually lives in South Burlington! It's a great book about kids who are suddenly quarantined in a mall because of a bomb threat.
I bought myself a copy of the illustrated Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone!!! I'm so excited to read it/look at all of the pictures!!!
I’m so excited about those!! Every time I go to a bookstore I give them a longing look ;) I still don’t have one yet though...
03/16/2020 - 6:59am
they. are. amazing. my mum got the first three for my brothers so that they can look at the pictures when she's reading with them. (i sneak them sometimes to look at the pictures too)
03/16/2020 - 1:53pm
Weird Harry Potter moment- does anyone else think that Hagrid’s long story about his mission in the middle of the fifth book is just a tiny bit boring? I always skip over it..
Oh yeah, it is kinda boring.
03/11/2020 - 8:25am
Yeah, it's a bit dull.
03/13/2020 - 8:49am
When I was little I loved the Beatrix Potter stories. Re-reading them now I realize how weird they are. I mean, there's one where a kitten almost gets eaten by rats and one where a fox pretends to help a duck hide her eggs from the farmer and then lets dogs eat them. And of course my old favorite, Pigling Bland, the one where pigs that talk, walk on two legs, and wear clothes get held captive by a creepy old guy. I mean, it's all about the way you look at them but some of them are weird.
That’s kind of the way it is with all good books-especially if they’re a little old fashioned- but that’s what I like about most of them. Plus there must be something about that weirdness that makes people like them right? I’ve always wanted to come back and read more with books like those.
03/03/2020 - 6:56am
Does anyone else organize the bookshelf in their room in alphabetical order? :)
Show all 8 comments
I mostly just try to make mine look aesthetic. :)
02/28/2020 - 7:53am
I’ve done some of mine by size, but mostly, it’s just random. :)
02/29/2020 - 4:48pm
i do them by fiction, nonfiction, art/writing/schoolwork, and coloring books, and then in those catogories arenge them by alphabet.
03/04/2020 - 8:52am
Alphabetical, size, paperback, and hand cover.
Yeah I know, it's a little overkill.
03/05/2020 - 7:11pm
nope. I do by size only- but most are just in stacks because I'm to lazy to organize...
03/17/2020 - 12:55pm
Mine are just... on my shelves.
03/18/2020 - 3:22pm
heh, I just put mine wherever they fit...
03/19/2020 - 5:01pm
Mine are organized by size. XD
03/20/2020 - 9:51am
Has any one else read Strange the Dreamer?
Ok I just have to ask if anyone else has noticed how similar The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall is to Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. SPOILERS AHEAD! My Dad has said this a lot, and there sate some pretty obvious similarities; four sisters meet a lonely boy, Rosalind is pretty similar to Meg, Sky is Jo, etc. But I recently realized that the similarities go much farther!
Show all 4 comments
Jeffrey/Laurie wants to date Sky/Jo, but they wouldn’t be good for each other. Jeffrey/Laurie then ends up with Batty/Amy, and Sky/Jo marries a foreign student/profesor!!! I don’t know if this was obvious for other people, but I was amazed and needed to tell everyone I possibly could. :)
02/22/2020 - 8:27pm
Huh that’s pretty interesting! I never noticed that before!
02/23/2020 - 9:08am
I just went to the Broadway musical of Little Women yesterday, it was really good even though I've never read Little Women!
02/24/2020 - 7:55am
Ooh, that sounds awesome! I actually didn’t know that was a thing!
02/25/2020 - 7:28pm
The new book for March is so so good!! I hope y’all have been reading the other books for the month, but if you haven’t, this is the time to start! Check it out on the home page of YWP!!!
I just finished Serpent and Dove by Shelby Mahurin, has anyone else read it?
How about Raina Telgemier? Anyone else love her graphic novels?
Show all 6 comments
YESSSS SO MUCH
02/21/2020 - 11:05pm
ME TOO
02/22/2020 - 10:58am
What’s your favorite?
02/22/2020 - 1:45pm
Definitely Sisters, I’ve read it so many times.
02/22/2020 - 4:54pm
that's my favorite one too!
02/22/2020 - 5:58pm
I’ve always just loved the way the book goes back and forth between Raina’s memories and the present, and then they connect at the end.
02/23/2020 - 7:13am
We need to organize a "The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler" type situation but in Barnes and Noble.
Show all 7 comments
I’m in :)
02/19/2020 - 7:34am
Me, too!
02/19/2020 - 4:18pm
I’m totally down!
02/20/2020 - 9:07pm
That sounds fun! I have missed out on so much here... oops..?
02/21/2020 - 9:44am
allright! who's bringing the food?
02/21/2020 - 8:47pm
we can just go to one that has a Starbucks cafe
02/21/2020 - 9:46pm
oh, yah know, good point. breakfast for dinner.
02/24/2020 - 3:43pm