About the Book Club

Read a good book lately?
Leave a comment, a suggestion, a list of your favorites here!

WINTER READS
Check out charvermont's new picks!

currently working on a list of midsummer reads and I'd love it if you guys have any recommendations for me! think easy beach reads, books set during summer, books about nature, etc.

lmk if you have any ideas!!
Show all 4 comments
Ooh summer reading! What If It's Us, and The City We Became are both really good
07/20/2021 - 9:13pm
omg yes Becky Albertalli is such a good writer
07/21/2021 - 8:14am
She is! I swear I CAN'T WAIT until Here's to Us comes out. I want to know what happens so bad!
07/22/2021 - 1:55pm
OMG same! I love her booksss
07/23/2021 - 9:55am
Has anyone ever read the book “The Love That Split The World”? I really would like a second opinion. I was/am super confused!!!
haven't read it but now I'm intrigued ...
07/20/2021 - 5:07pm
anyone reading a good book rn? I'm always needing more to read :)
If your into romance I would suggest “ listen to your heart” by: Kasie West. If you like fantasy I would very highly suggest almost all Maria V. Snyder books. My favorite series are her Study trilogy and her Scent of Magic series. I’m not sure about the correct series title for the last one but Scent of magic is the last book in that series. Hope this is helpful!
07/19/2021 - 6:13pm
omg I love the names of those series - thank you for the recommendation!! I'll check them out
07/20/2021 - 11:25am
Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie, Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery, The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis, and Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton.
09/13/2021 - 6:33pm
we just got our summer reading lists for school and I'm excited for one, and I haven't heard of the others. We're reading Born a Crime by Trevor Noah and The Color of Water by James McBride for English and The Lexus and the Olive Tree by Thomas Freidman for World studies. if anyone has read any of them I'd love your thoughts.
so i finished all of becky albertalli’s books except yes no maybe so, because it’s boring so far and i don’t really like it.
THEY ARE SO GOOD OMG
kate in waiting is my favorite, tied with simon vs. the homo sapiens agenda and what if it’s us!!! help i’m obsessed!!!!
I love Simon vs the Homo sapiens Agenda! It's so sweet and funny and him and Blue are amazing together.
06/26/2021 - 11:15pm
Anyone have any suggestions for a long fantasy series? I love fantasy books but I've read my series TONS of times!(HUGE kotlc and wof series fan!)
Show all 6 comments
Shadow and Bone is a good series. Also there's Six of Crows which takes place after the events of Shadow and Bone, so if you like the series you can keep reading about other characters in that world.
06/26/2021 - 12:43pm
agree, shadow and bone and six of crows! harry potter and percy jackson are both also great, and if you like percy jackson, heroes of olympus is a second great series that comes after it! also, the land of stories, though it’s targeted to a bit of a younger audience, it’s still amazing!!
06/26/2021 - 4:14pm
Thank you guys so much!! I will definitly try all those, thank you!!
06/26/2021 - 6:57pm
I also love fantasy. I would suggest the School For Good and Evil series. It’s fantasy/romance/ friendship book. Very highly recommended!!
06/27/2021 - 5:14pm
ooh agreed with all of these, especially heros of olympus, so good. Also suggest the Lunar Chronicles and Renegades by Marrisa Meyer :)
06/28/2021 - 5:57pm
Thank you so much you all!!
06/30/2021 - 9:40am
Just started reading Of Mice and Men with a kid I'm tutoring, was wondering how ya'll liked the book?
I didn't really like it. 3/4 of the book felt like the author was still introducing the characters and laying down the setting and background. Then all the action happened in the last few chapters. It was also hard for me to find the meaning the book. After I read it I couldn't figure out what the author was trying to tell the reader.
06/24/2021 - 4:25pm
Ah good to know. Yeah I was skipping around and it seemed like the author was introducing the characters and the plot was kinda boring, thanks for the input :)
06/28/2021 - 5:53pm
Is anyone into Agatha Christie's books? I just started Appointment with Death, and had forgotten how good her Hercule Poirot mysteries are!
i love agatha christie! just bought death on the nile to read though i haven’t started it, and my absolute favorite mystery ever is and then there were none. recommended!!!!
06/16/2021 - 5:58pm
I actually just started reading A Carribean Mystery by her!. It's pretty interesting and things are heating up
06/24/2021 - 4:26pm
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgatha Christie!!!
I just read 5 or so of her books in 2 days. XD My favorite so far, and possibly one of my favorite books overall, is Secret Adversary. It was brilliant, and so satisfying.
Cool to meet some other Christie fans! :)
09/01/2021 - 1:18pm
So I love reading fantasy books, they are my favorite and I recently started reading Keeper of The Lost Cites(kotlc) Because one of my teacher recommended it to me. It is one of my favorite series and I've read the whole series twice now! My other favorite series is Wings of Fire(wof) I've read that whole series tons of times now. I'm looking for suggestions on fantasy books like either of those series, anyone know any?
Thank you
Oh I love Keeper of the Lost Cities!! All the characters are so good and the world building is great. Harry Potter is another good fantasy series though you've probably already read them. Shadow and Bone is really good, but it has a darker tone.
06/08/2021 - 6:28pm
toatlly agree with both of you!
06/08/2021 - 7:36pm
Same! Yeah!! Well...I'm not really into Harry Potter because my friend LOVES the books and movies and I hear about them all the time, but I had to watch the movies! Thank you, I'll try seeing if that series is for me!! Thank you so much!
06/13/2021 - 10:04am
oh also I'm curious if anyone here reads nonfiction books as well as poetry/fiction? I like to switch on and off. I just read some fantasy, then fiction, and now I'm reading Orwell On Truth which is a collection of George Orwell's writing on morality/political honesty. I normally have a couple poetry anthologies going too. Right now it's Margaret Atwood & Elizabeth Bishop. Anyways anybody else like this?
Sort of...I read multiple books at the same time. They're mostly fiction, but I do have two nonfictions mixed in there. So far, I haven't read a ton of poetry books, but I wanted to see what poetry Margaret Atwood has written!
06/02/2021 - 11:42am
She's a great poet! Apparently poetry was her first love, but I'm reading Dearly (her newer poems, not the original ones)
06/03/2021 - 12:08pm
Has anyone read The Nightjar by Deborah Hewitt? I stayed up all night reading it ... omg so good & I'm trying to sneak an advanced reader's copy of the next book lol (how can I wait until August?)
If anyone here (maybe above grade 7? ) has not read Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson, you NEED to go to the library right. Now. And read it. So powerful and enriching. You might want to try the adapted for young adults version if the original is too hard:)
What are other peoples thoughts on this book?? Such a great read- totally worth it.
I'm going to start Kate in Waiting by Becky Albertalli sometime soon! I love her work, but I was a bit disappointed by What if it's Us. To be fair I don't think I'm a fan of his writing, it's just so bland.
I am reading the Truly Devious series. I really like it. Has anyone heard of it?
Show all 4 comments
I've never heard of it, but I'll check it out!! :)
05/20/2021 - 5:47pm
Yes! I'm in the middle of it now. I read the first book a few months back, but couldn't get the sequels. I recently started up the series again and am currently reading the 3rd book. What do you think of the series?
05/21/2021 - 11:14am
I love it! It’s really interesting!
05/23/2021 - 9:13pm
I just read the first book! At first it was kinda predictable but then the cliffhanger at the end?! Did not see that coming
05/29/2021 - 12:49pm
Hi everyone! I just read On Writing by Stephen King, and...I absolutely LOVED it. I've never read any of his fiction books (my parents won't let me, they're not huge fans of horror), but his writing style is so engaging while also being super easy to understand. I'm just wondering—has anyone else read it, and what did you think of it? Also, if you haven't read it, do!!
Hi! I've read it too! It was a couple years ago, and at that time I'd never read any of his books either. I liked the way part of the book was about his life (sort of like a biography) and the other part was more focused on writing advice. It felt like a nice balance between instruction and a story. I definitely second your recommendation - it's a really interesting read. :)
05/10/2021 - 2:48pm
greatest book in the world, i have never stopped re-reading it since i got it three years ago
05/13/2021 - 5:23pm
I just read the Inheritance Games; it is amazing! Riddles, clues, secret passageways, hidden motivation. The sequel comes out in September! Has anyone else read it and what did you think?
it is literally my favorite book. i read it in december and have been waiting for the sequel ever since. i even gave it to my friend for christmas so we could talk about it. loved it soooo much. who’s your favorite brother?? i think i’d have to go with xander....
04/28/2021 - 4:58pm
I read it and also loved it!! I’m unsure as to my favorite brother ( it’s been a while since I read it) but I do agree that Xander is pretty great.
04/30/2021 - 5:54pm
Yay! I'm glad other people have read it too! I'd have to say Grayson is my favorite brother, but I like Xander too - he's got a great sense of humor.
05/06/2021 - 3:10pm
Just finished this great book called the Language of Ghosts. Totally recommend! (written by Heather Fawcett)
just finished six of crows by leigh bardugo for the second time, and it’s truly one of the best books i’ve ever read. if you haven’t read it, definitely give it a try. high action and drama in a magical universe and the best characters ever (but i recommend the shadow and bone series first.) if you have read it, what do you think?? who’s your favorite character?? aaaaaahhh i love it so much xd.
I’ve read the shadow and bone series. It was pretty good. I don’t know why but I couldn’t bring myself to red the third book for weeks and then it just felt wrong. But yet again I was in a reading funk so I could be miss judging.
04/30/2021 - 5:57pm
yeah, shadow and bone is the series that comes before six of crows and in my opinion it’s nowhere near as good. i really didn’t like it.
05/01/2021 - 9:04am
i love all of the crows but if i had to choose, i'd say inej is my favorite!
05/27/2021 - 12:27pm
Hey everyone! Hope you’re having a great week full of fun reads!! :)) make sure to check out the upcoming book club meeting!!
Has anyone read Of Mice And Men? I just read it and what is up with the ending?! I can't find the meaning of the book and it dissapointed me. To anyone who's read it what did you think?
I read Of Mice And Men and had the same reaction. Once I finished I was like ... uh so what was the meaning of this? If anyone has insights I'd also love to know.
04/28/2021 - 7:40pm