How to Write a Killer College Essay

With DENISE SHEKERJIAN
WHEN: Saturday, April 11, 2020, 10 - 11:30 AM
WHO: For high school juniors and sophomores. Parents are welcome too.
WHERE: Karma Bird House, 47 Maple St., Burlington, rooftop conference room.
It's FREE! SIGN UP HERE!

ABOUT THIS WORKSHOP: This interactive workshop is designed for high school juniors and seniors who are considering college. Denise Shekerjian, lawyer, writer and author of books and literary essays, specializes in working with students on their college admission essays, medical school applications, and other graduate and fellowship applications. She also lectures widely on the subject, has created a workshop curriculum for educators, and loves your questions. Learn how to avoid common pitfalls in your personal statement that result in dull and predictable essays. Understand the well-worn clichés and how to steer clear of the “I love people, I’m great at math!!!” theme in your essay. From finding your narrative to capturing it on the page, she covers it all. You’ll come away with a good appreciation for how to reflect on and synthesize an experience.

ABOUT DENISE SHEKERJIAN: Denise Shekerjian is a writer and a lawyer who also consults with students on their application essays. She is the author of two works of nonfiction including Uncommon Genius, a narrative look at how great ideas are born. Based on interviews with 40 winners of the MacArthur Prize or so-called “genius award,” she pieced together a picture of the creative process in action. Her two-year blog on the artistic process was cited in her award of an honorary doctorate of letters from the University of Vermont, 2012. Her essays and short stories have earned two Pushcart Prize nominations and have appeared in many literary journals. Previous to her writing life, Denise pursued a career in law. With a J.D. and an LL.M. attained on full fellowship, she worked first in human rights and then as a federal trial attorney – Southern District of New York, highly profiled headline cases, criminal defense. Competent Counsel, a nonfiction look at working with lawyers, drew from these years.  Find out more about Denise and her range of writing services at her website, soulofaword.com.
Event Date: 
Saturday, April 11, 2020