c.mcintire's picture

Oops

Social media is an environment for miscommunication. Although it can be a positive platform, it is also a modern plague. Many of the conversations that happen through Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, and many more may cause confusion and misunderstanding. For example, many people my age, that are heavily involved in social media, consider a period at the end of a sentence as a display of anger. Yet, this is simply proper punctuation. Behind a screen, there is simply no tone or body language so it makes it nearly impossible to understand exactly how the person is coming across. The best way to avoid this is to have conversations WITH people. Although there are many downs to social media and miscommunications there can also be a humous side (especially if you are conversating with someone you are close with).

Personally, I don’t find any miscommunications humorous. Even it is just a spelling error, the person corrects themself and we move on, but I don’t laugh about it. When I am having conversations through texts I try not to assume someone is mad, sad or happy, because it is simply hard to tell. Miscommunications are not humorous and are quite avoidable. Try not to assume someone’s mood through a screen and have conversations IN PERSON. 

c.mcintire's picture
About the Author: c.mcintire
Chloe McIntire