01-28-04

to my soul mate; you’ve grown so much— so fast. it’s been ten years since i met you, your baby hairs swimming in the breeze that occupied the summer air. Small scrapes upon your knees marking pavements walked by phantom dreams. it’s been nine  years since the need to knock felt trivial, it’s been eight since i called you anything less than a sister. it’s been seven since you kept me alive, unknowingly breathing light and life into my soul, subconsciously promising that life wasn’t done with me quite yet. it’s been six since i felt your family was good as my own, and mine yours. it’s been five since i named my fish after you. she died, like they all did— but somehow yours was sadder. it’s been 4 since i left everything i knew but you were still there, three since i took little capsules of happiness, rendered obscure on the days i saw you, two since you joined me, one since our walks through death’s halls of fame, and zero since i loved you.
About the Author: lila woodard
everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid — Albert Einstein