fiction 0 comments challenge: Wind
Ashbyp's picture

The Antagonizing Ticking

I was about to pick up the money I found on the rough concrete outside when I heard a noise. It was like nothing I had ever heard. Up until this point I was having one of the best days of my life. I had a great day at school and I just found out I was going to have a younger sister. I’ve wanted to have a sibling ever since I was a little kid. My mom told me when I got home from school and we decided to celebrate by walking down to the waterfront and getting ice cream. It was pretty warm but there was a breeze and it was getting late so there was going to be mosquitos. Everyone seemed to be energetic and in a good mood because summer vacation was starting in just 2 weeks. The trees were bright green and there were tons of dandelions scattered across the cold, wet grass. I was walking with my mom and my dad when I slipped and fell on the concrete, scraping my knee. I looked down and under my foot was an $100 bill. That’s when I heard the noise. It was a loud ticking sound, so loud that it made me and my parents jump. The noise ticked once every 5 seconds and each time I hoped it would be the last. We walked up to a couple walking their dogs and asked them if they heard the ticking too, they didn’t. They were very polite and we decided to walk home, much faster paced this time. It was antagonizing, every tick loud and persisting like an alarm inside of your head. Once we got home I dug my face deep in my plush pillows to try to muffle the noise. Nothing was working and we couldn’t fall asleep because of how loud it was. My dad wouldn’t let us go to the emergency room because he thought it was ridiculous and he didn’t want to waste money, which we scarcely had. That’s when I remembered the $100 dollar bill that was still in my pocket. I was getting desperate and I had an idea. I sprinted out of my room, down the stairs, and out of my house so fast that I didn’t put my shoes on or shut the door on my way out. I lunged down the sidewalk in long fast strides with my white socks ripping on the  concrete until I reached the spot where I found the money. I smacked the money on the sidewalk with one hand, and it stopped. Finally the antagonizing heartbeat of the ticking had ended. 

Ashbyp's picture
About the Author: Ashbyp