taylorl's picture

For the life of one

Five seconds is all it takes to leave this earth behind.

Just this morning I kissed my family goodbye and said, “See you later,” little did they know that later would just be an understatement. I drove to the store and bought a gun, I had expected it to be way harder, and yet, it only took four steps. The first second: The cashier asks if I am over the age of 21? Second number two: can I see your state ID?three: I wait as they run a background check. Second number four:: they hand me a gun. I dart out the door, rush into my car and drove into the woods. The fifth second
  “Vermont does not require permits to purchase and has no firearms registration. Both open carry and concealed carry are legal without a permit in Vermont. Any person 16 or older (although federal law requires the age to be 18) who can legally possess a firearm is allowed to carry openly or concealed.” 1A judgment this past December has led the state legislatures to propose a new gun law to restrict people from carrying semi-automatic weapons in public areas.
Vermont has a very unrestrained gun law, only prohibiting firearms on school grounds and in state buildings. Vermont laws do not prohibit guns in public areas or public facilities. This makes every public place and every home a place of danger.  Children that find firearms in homes are a potentially dangerous combination. Firearms are the 2nd leading cause of death among children and teens in the United States 
In Vermont, there are around 70 gun deaths per year 10% of Vermont gun deaths are homicide and 88% of Vermont gun deaths are suicide.2 If you take 88% of 70 you get 61.6 and if you take 10% of 70 you get 7. Meaning out of 70 suicides and homicides a year 68.6 of those deaths are by gun and the other 2.4 is caused by other objects.
88% of gun deaths in Vermont are suicides and according to Boston Children’s Hospital, 90% of those that take their own lives suffer from a mental illness.3. Legislators should propose a law that makes it a requirement to get a mental exam by a certified practitioner before purchasing a firearm. 
Why is it important that people get a mental exam before purchasing a gun? People that are suffering from mental illness are more prone to gun violence, whether it is taking their own lives or the lives of others.  Making a law to ensure the mental health of the purchasers of firearms can only help reduce the number of suicide and homicide. Even though this might not always work it could still save the life of one. In making this action it could only take one second to save someone’s five.

taylorl's picture
About the Author: taylorl