Congratulations, contest winners!

Young Writers Project is proud to announce the winners of the Fair Housing Writing Contest!

First place: Fortune is hereditary
by gaia_lenox
Second place: House and home
by Inkpaw
Third place: Under the shelter of sky
by fire girl
Honorable mention: Teal embrace
by amaryllis
Honorable mention: My house, my home
by Crescent_Moon
Congratulations, writers! And thank you to everyone who participated!

And thank you to our contest sponsor, CVOEO (Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity). This contest was made possible by the Fair Housing Project of CVOEO through a grant with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

CONTEST DETAILS: There are laws preventing discrimination and inequity in housing, and yet decent, affordable shelter remains out of reach for many people. As part of National Fair Housing Month (April), we asked you to write about your community or your state in the context of housing justice. Prizes are on their way to the three winners: 1st: $75; 2nd: $50; 3rd: $25.

THE CHALLENGES:
1. BELONG: Imagine a community where everyone is welcome and all people can afford their houses or apartments, no matter their circumstances. What would this community look and feel like? Do you know of any communities like this? If not, why don't they exist and what could be done to make them a reality?
2. SHELTER: Where is home for you? What physical or emotional space makes you feel sheltered, safe, “at home?” OR begin or end with this phrase: “Under the shelter of my roof …”
3. JUSTICE: Despite the federal and state fair housing laws, many Vermonters experience discrimination and don’t have access to quality, affordable homes. What is the impact of this inequity on the state? 

BACKGROUND: The Federal Fair Housing Act was signed into law on April 11, 1968 after a long political and social struggle. The act states that it is illegal to discriminate in housing based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, and disability. Vermont has additional protections based on age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, receipt of public assistance, and abuse, sexual assault, and stalking. These protections are intended to prevent discrimination, reverse historical patterns of housing segregation, and provide equal access to housing opportunity for all.

[Illustration, right, by Ava Kendrick, YWP Library]

Event Date: 
Friday, May 1, 2020