KadenP's picture

The Carnival

I don’t know where it came from, one day it just appeared. The Carnival is supposed to be a fun experience for all ages but something, survival instincts? Paranoia? At this time I wasn’t sure, all I knew was that overnight the forest around my house was chopped down, flattened and an entire carnival set up shop. A eerie gray fog sat just above the carnival, and the sky was dark with clouds from a quickly approaching storm. I decided to stay inside, for some reason I seriously believed if I ignored it that it would just disappear and things would go back to normal. 

I was awoken to music, quite possibly the loudest, most annoying music I had ever heard. I instantly recognized it, it was carnival music. I checked the time, 2:35 a.m, I had wondered why would anybody be blasting such obnoxious music at this hour,

“Have they not heard of sleep” I thought to myself.

I peered out my window and I was met with bright glistering lights coming from the carnival. 

Then I saw a man, he was probably 6’2, skinny, very skinny. He was standing in the entrance to the carnival, just watching me, a feeling of uneasiness hit me. I looked away and the man was gone.

The next morning I was yet again prematurely woken up by music, the same music as last night. I looked out my window, the sky was consumed with a beautiful orange from the rising sun. I decided I had enough and decided to talk to the carnival about having some decency for the people who are trying to sleep. I promptly got dressed and excited my house, the carnival was about 400 yards from my house, so it wasn’t too bad of a walk. As I approached I began to feel dizzy, as if I had been spun a million times and then let go. Then I realized something, the noise, not only had the music stopped but it was as if everything had stopped. No birds, no wind, no passing cars, it was an eerie silence that lasted eternity, I had had enough, I was going home. I turned around, and realized I couldn’t see my house. A blinding white fog had settled out of nowhere. 

“Hurry, Hurry, Hurry. Come get your tickets to the Carnival!” a joyful man said through a loudspeaker. I moved in the direction of the voice, looking back I don’t know why, even then I didn’t know why. It was as if the force of a thousand men were pushing vigorously on my spine, forcing me forward. 

I reached the gate to the Carnival. Tears were flowing from my eyes. I began to ball. I was ever so scared, but I kept moving. I pushed the gate open and it made the most disgusting screech as the rusting metal was opened. I stepped through and vomited. I began to lose my balance and fell onto my face. It took several seconds for me to recover from the fall but when I looked up I realized I was at the steps to “The Fun House” I walked inside the entrance which was painted to look as if you were entering the mouth of a large clown. I was presented with a maze of mirrors and glass. I began to wonder into the maze when the lights began to shut on and off, first sporadically then formed a rhythm. The lights flickered off, then back on and I saw a man in a reflection in front of me I turned around to nothing. Lights off, the man was gone. Glass shattered somewhere nearby. I began to panic, I started to run. I quickly realized I was lost but my thought was interrupted as I ran into glass, it didn’t shatter but it knocked me to the floor. Lights off, once the turned back on I realized I was looking at the legs of a tall man. The same man who was outside my window. We were thankfully separated by a glass wall, I observed the man from my position still on the floor, but the man took no interest in me, his face perfectly obscured by a shadow. Although I had yet to see his face I felt as if I had known this person my whole life, I still can’t explain the feeling to this day. I vomited and the man's head began to move. Not down toward me but against the glass, the force in which he did this soon picked up momentum and he began to slam his head against the glass. Each time he did this his body clenched as if he was in a great deal of pain, dark red blood began to stain the glass as a crack formed in the glass. The glass broke where his head had been banging it and his head went through. I recognized the man instantly although his face covered in deep open wounds gushing thick red blood as well as covered in dirt and sweat, this man was me. But it wasn't me that I know, it was me but different. For one this me was much taller and this me also looked sickly skinny as if I had not eaten in several years. I also noticed that it was as if the parts of my body I was insecure about had become disproportionately larger than the rest of the body, I didn’t have time to take in what that might have meant since I blacked out, I remember.. As I was consumed by black how calm I felt. I felt so incredibly calm and relaxed.

A foul stench had consumed me as I became conscious again. I heard a high beeping noise, I opened my eyes not even an inch and was consumed by bright light. My face felt as if it was wrapped in something. 

“Doctor, he’s awake” A female voice says.

I open my eyes slowly and I realize I'm lying in a hospital bed.

I see my mother in the corner of the room reading a book. Tears had clearly stained her cheeks in the past several hours, she jolts from her position and kisses me on the cheek.

“We didn’t know if you were gonna make it” She said sobbing.

A doctor and nurse enter the room.

“You’ve been in a coma for two months son,” Says the doctor as my mom continues to sob in the background.

I didn’t believe him at first, it had felt as if only seconds ago, I had blacked out. This couldn’t be right.

“What do you last remember?” the doctor follows up with.

That was a question to this day I cannot answer, there's so much I remember but yet, so little of it made sense. I shake my head in his direction

“Well, I’ll tell you what we know, you suffered a severe head injury and went into a coma,” he says. 

“How?” I ask in a croaky voice.

“Your head went through a mirror.. at the carnival,” He says.

KadenP's picture
About the Author: KadenP
KADEN PERRY =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=