BorayZ's picture

A Drastic Decision

“Our planet is dying. Plain and Simple. For hundreds of years, humans have leached its natural resources. For hundreds of years humans have ignored its plea for us to stop and think for just a single second,” I turned to look at Cara who was lying on the cool grass beside me. 
    “Stop talking nonsense, Nico, we still have plenty of time. There is no need to do anything drastic,” Cara looked back at the night sky, and I followed her gaze.
    “If we have the opportunity to make a change.--”
    “Nico--”
    “EVEN. If what we have to do is drastic. Even if we have to uproot our entire lives. We have to give it a try. I hope you’ll come with me, but if you don’t, I’ll go nonetheless.”
    “We don’t have to. Let the experts do their job; they won’t want any helpless kids following them around anyways,” Cara sat up and shook the grass out of her short caramel-colored hair. “I’m getting cold, let’s go inside.”
    “Please stay out a little longer. I want to keep looking at the sky. Something about it just puts everything in perspective, you know?”
    “I don’t know,” Cara began to get up to leave.
    “Can you just get a sweatshirt and come back outside?” I asked her.
    “Yeah,” she smiled. “I’ll get you one too.”
    One by one I fixed my gaze on each of the planets. Then I tried to do the same with the stars, but there were too many of them. 
    “I’m back,” Cara sang as she handed me a sweatshirt and lied back down beside me. “Did you come to your senses while I was away?”
    “The opposite.”
    “Come on.”
    “Just look at the sky.”
    Cara looked at the sky, but it was different than when I did so.
    “No,” I said. “Look at the sky.”
    She squinted, “I don’t understand what you mean.”
    “Don’t look at the sky as what it is, look at the sky as what it could be.”
    “I still don’t understand,” Cara laughed.
    “Outer space is practically endless, and although we cannot actually see it all lying here in our backyard, it feels like we can. Or at least it feels that way to me.”
    “If it’s endless then it doesn’t matter what we do. We are insignificant in the long run.”
“That’s not what it means to me. It means that we don’t have control over anything but what is right in front of us. We are responsible for this tiny corner of the universe that we were given to take care of, which makes us and everyone else here incredibly significant. If I ever doubt my “drastic” decision, all I have to do is look at the star-filled night sky, and I remember that what I am doing has to be done.”
    “And you think it would be useful if I came too?”
“I am certain of it.”
Cara stared at the night sky for a few minutes. She didn’t say a word, and I didn’t say a word. I prayed that it would be enough to convince her to come with me.
    “Ok,” She broke the long silence.
    “‘Ok’ as in you’re coming with me? As in you understand?” Even though it was the answer I had been waiting for, I was surprised.
    “I’ll come, but I still don’t see the sky as you do. I’m coming because I trust you because you’re my sister. I know that everything you do you do thinking of me.”
    “Well that’s a little self-absorbed of you.”
    “It’s true though, isn’t it?”
    “Of course it is.”