dylan dickerson's picture

My Story

My Story
Hi, my name is Jackie and when I was 16 I was diagnosed with cancer. I was in the hospital for a long time but luckily I was still fighting. On Sunday, March 2, 2012, at 9:46 am I got the best news of my life. But first, let me tell you how it started. It was almost my birthday and I was going to turn 17. On Monday, March 2, 2011, at 7:30 pm I was doing my homework for math and then I crashed. I fell to the ground and was unconscious. My mom said she came into my room and thought I was sleeping. She tried to wake me up for dinner (she was making my favorite, hamburgers) but I wouldn’t wake up. Then I was in a hospital room unconscious. 
I woke up a few hours later and I was scared out of my mind. I did not know where I was and my mom was crying next to me like the world was ending. A lot of months passed but it felt like three years had passed. 
One day I was walking to the cafeteria and saying hi to all my good friends that had cancer too. Some of them have been there longer than I had. When you have been in a hospital for a long time you kind of know everything and everyone who goes there. My best friend Coco, who has cancer like me, is the best person I have ever met. He is my age and he is so funny. I can’t forget about my nurse, Shakira. I can talk to her about anything and she knows me the most. She also knows where I go to be alone.   
Now its Sunday and I am laying in my bed as Shakira comes in with my mom and dad. I didn’t know what was happening and I was nervous. Then this is what I heard…
I DON’T HAVE CANCER ANYMORE!! I was so excited to be able to leave and go home to see my dog Milo and my big brother Jaxson! I finally got out of the hospital and I was home in my bed with my dog. 
About a year later my mom and dad were going to get some groceries and the police department called. I thought I was in trouble or my brother was in trouble, but no.  They said to me that my mom and dad had gotten in a car accident and that they had passed away. I was shocked, it felt like my heart stopped. I fell to the floor crying my eyes out. My rug was soggy from all my tears and my brother came running in my room. He was asking if I was ok. He held me tight and hugged me. I told him what happened and then we were both completely still.
5 years later we were living in an apartment and we both had jobs. I am 23 now and If you are wondering how we got there, well our parents wrote a will before they died. It said that all their money goes to us and that they had an apartment next to the hospital that they would spend their time when I was in the hospital. 
Before we figured all that out, we were living at the hospital. We also went to therapy for a long time. We had to support each other and ourselves too. Now I work at the same hospital that I was in and I help with therapy for teenagers and I make them feel happy. I tell them about my story and about my experience in the hospital. I hope one day these kids will be able to hear the best news of their lives as I did.     

dylan dickerson's picture
About the Author: dylan dickerson