joseph.deffner's picture

Can’t You See It?

“Can’t you see it? Their eyes are blazing! Their face is so red it’s turning purple!” I said with fear and anxiousness. My two younger siblings, Olive and Honor, looked up at me. My older brother Jacob was in the kitchen with someone unrecognizable in a black hoody and black sweatpants. I could see the fear, the hurt, and the trust in my little sisters’ eyes. I knew I had to be their mother now. I knew I had to take care of them. I knew what I had to do.

I needed to get them out of the house right away. I was going through my plan in my head when I realized that Olive and Honor had disappeared. I looked to my sides. No one. I looked behind me. No one. I looked in front of me; the person who was in the kitchen with Jacob was walking towards me. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Jacob lying on the floor. The figure in front of me was getting closer and wearing a dark mask. All I could make out was its shining, blue, mesmerizing eyes. The eyes were a magnet; I couldn’t take my eyes off of them. Then I felt as if I could not move my feet. I was glued to the floor.

I snapped out of it. I ran and ran around my house until I was trapped on the balcony that was in my parents’ room. I panicked. Nowhere to go. Nothing to do. I tried to punch the person. But I was too weak. The person stood there like nothing had happened. The stranger looked at me again, stared right into my eyes. I didn’t flinch this time. It was useless to try to hurt the person. So I did what I had to do. I jumped off the balcony (which luckily was only about ten feet above the ground). I looked across the fields. The hills. The mountains. Then I was on the ground with a hard knock. I opened my eyes to see nothing but a blur of colors and a dark face moved into my view. The last thing I saw was two little girls hiding around the edge of my house.