January Book: Black is the Body

The January Book Pick is "Black is the Body" by Emily Bernard. YWP's charvermont, who selected this month's book, says, "Black is the Body is a memoir of essays about Emily Bernard's life. They are beautifully written and made me think a lot." Emily Bernard teaches at the University of Vermont. Stop in any time to THE YWP BOOK CLUB to discuss this book or any book – new discoveries and old favorites.

More about Black is the Body from Penguin Random House: "In these twelve deeply personal, connected essays, Bernard details the experience of growing up black in the south with a family name inherited from a white man, surviving a random stabbing at a New Haven coffee shop, marrying a white man from the North and bringing him home to her family, adopting two children from Ethiopia, and living and teaching in a primarily white New England college town. Each of these essays sets out to discover a new way of talking about race and of telling the truth as the author has lived it." Find out more here.

HEY YWP! Want to suggest a book of the month for the YWP Book Club? Want more online book discussions about this and other books? Message LadyMidnight and charvermont on the site!