Daily Challenges: A new idea to explore and create each day. Use sound and photos, too!

Opening sentence exercise: Concepts: Writing is a series of sentences with each new sentence relating to the previous. Each written sentence can be explored with a question or two to help you formulate the next one. As you progress, more and more questions will arise. The challenge: Write an active, declarative sentence about a character -- could be a real person but if so hide their identity. KEEP that sentence, hit the return button, ask yourself a question about that character or the sentence you just wrote and rewrite the original adding more information. Keep repeating until you arrive at a sentence you really like that could begin a story.

Continuation exercise: If you like the first sentence, do the same process with a second sentence. And so on. Surprise yourself. Example:An example:
Shira was angry.
Shira was angry that someone had stolen her book.
Shira was angry that someone had stolen the book that her father had given to her.
Shira was angry that someone had stolen the book that her father had given to her just before he died.

So here's the example with the potential questions that arose:
Shira was angry (why was she angry?)
Shira was angry that someone had stolen her book. (what was the book? or why was it significant?)
Shira was angry that someone had stolen the book that her father had given to her. (what about her father's gift was special?)
Shira was angry that someone had stolen the book that her father had given to her just before he died. (how did he die? what was the book? why did her father give it to her? who stole it? how can she get it back?)

Continuation:
Shira was angry that someone had stolen the book that her father had given her a week before he died. Of course neither knew, at the time, that he would die a week later, but on this Saturday morning the two had gone to a book store together -- one of the few times they had connected -- and he had found a first edition of her favorite author, Toni Morrison. He had purchased it when she was not looking and gave it to her, sliding it across the table in silence, as they were drinking coffee at her favorite cafe.

(This exploration challenge arises from a George Saunders video on writing that can be seen here: http://youngwritersproject.org/node/3718; (warning: curse word used in vid).
#pastchallenge