What Life Is All About

I had always thought that I knew what life was all about but really I had no clue at all. My parents are wealthy and they have told me sneaky lies that have been stuck in my head for a long time. 

Every night they told me that when I grow up I should find riches and never take no as an answer. They told me to be the richest person in the world and become famous. They said I should also make sure people know I am very important. For that is what life is all about. 

As a kid living in Brooklyn, NY I would waltz out the door wearing my best shoes and my prettiest shirt. Other people walking by looked like they were having more fun, but they didn’t have the newest toys and their clothes had rips in them. They didn’t look important at all. I was very confused. 

One day when I was younger, I decided to go see my grandfather because he was wise. He would know why this was happening. My grandfather, Frederick lived just down the block from my house. I like to chat with him because he can always help me to solve problems. He would always sit in a wooden rocking chair by the fireplace and rock back and forth while we talked. 

I remember passing the barber shop with a slanted red roof, passing the bakery where you could see donuts from the window, and passing the pet store with white paint chipping off the side. I had finally reached my grandfather's old brick apartment building. I knocked on the door. I heard footsteps coming towards me and then the creaky door swung open. I had always wondered why such a wise man had such an old house but that wasn’t the question I had then. 

He led me into the living room and I sat down on his plush couch.

“Now what brings you here, dear?” he asked calmly. I explained to him my problem and he seemed very concerned.

“Well my dear, you don’t know the truth. You see It doesn't matter if you're rich or not. You can have fun either way and you don’t need to look important to be important. You’re special just the way you are. The most important thing you need to know is that life's not all about riches and money. Life is about accomplishing things and learning, experimenting, exploring and just having fun.

For the first time, I was beginning to understand what life is all about.

chelsey.hook@grcsu.org's picture
About the Author: [email protected]