Peter Gustafson's picture

Happy Memories

Happy Memories

As I look back and think about my younger childhood years, I reflect on a number of happy moments involving the people who mean the world to me.
Within the rainbow of my memories, I gather these special moments that I would like to share with you. Come and walk with me down memory lane, as you recall your own special experiences, as I introduce you to some of mine. 
Do you want to build a snowman?...I must have watched that move “Frozen” at least a dozen times, while singing that tune at the top of my lungs. 
Speaking of building a snowman, I remember building a snowman from what started as a small sticky snowball, creatively naming him “Fred the Snowman,” and giving him a big hug with wide open arms. Which leads me into also having built a snow fort out of carefully molded blocks of snow, making a snow couch and snow chair to relax on in my fort. And, of course, I can't forget about sliding down the hill at the local park down the street from where I lived, smiling all the way down to the bottom (which, at the time, appeared to be such a long hill.) 
Jumping into piles of newly raked leaves, and peaking out from under the leaves covering my body to look up at the sunny blue sky.
Swinging on my bright yellow tree swing out in front of the house, the breeze blowing through my hair, feeling like I could fly. 
Learning to ride a bike without training wheels for the first time, I was so excited. What an accomplishment that was!
A purple playhouse in my backyard built just for me, where I spent many fun and magical times with my neighborhood friends. 
Picnics in the parks, spreading out the picnic blanket, feeling the grass under my feet while eating yummy food. 
Visiting a number delicious ice cream stands (Sweet Scoops, Village Scoop and Palmers), trying to decide which ice cream flavor to select, because every one of them sounded so good.
Catching frogs and placing them into a bucket, watching them hop around in the water until I released them. And fishing at Indian Brook Reservoir.
Exploring different campgrounds, sitting by the warm and crackling fire, making and eating scrumptious smores.
I have come to realize how thankful I am for all of the special memories and the people in my life...my family and friends, both that I view as the “Gifts” I will treasure for years to come.

Peter Gustafson's picture
About the Author: Peter Gustafson
Peter Gustafson