Jul 22

Midsummer Reads

BOOKS TO ENHANCE YOUR SUMMER EXPERIENCE
Selected and reviewed by YWP Book Club's charvermont

If you have a good book to recommend, let charvermont know!

Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (Science fiction/fantasy)

Set in the 2020s but published in the 1990s, Butler predicts an eerie future that is comparable to ours. Spend some time with Lauren Olamina, the inspiring protagonist of the Earthseed series, and discover a world of chaos, crushed dreams, and hope in the unlikeliest of places.

One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston (Realistic fiction)

Everyone is talking about this book right now! And for good reason, too. By the author of Red, White, and Royal Blue, this time-travel romance is hot off the presses and practically begging to be devoured by every teen in sight. For real. I finished it a few days ago and wanted to travel to Brooklyn immediately to hang out with Jane and August - when you start to think the characters are real, that’s when you know a book is good. Anyways, go spend a few days reading One Last Stop and cheering August on in her sleuth adventures!

Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi (Realistic fiction)

A captivating, intimate story of the relationship between a young woman, Gifty, and her mother as they both grapple with the lasting effects of her brother’s life-ending drug addiction. “Exquisitely written” and “emotionally searing,” Yaa Gyasi’s “Transcendent Kingdom is a deeply moving portrait of a family of Ghanaian immigrants ravaged by depression and addiction and grief” (Goodreads.com). Read it and have your heart broken, repaired, and broken again.

MORE BOOKS TO COME!!
About the Author: YWP
Hey YWP! You're at Young Writers Project headquarters! Want to get in touch? Just message Executive Director Susan Reid here!